Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Colt New Service similar to the one 59bisquik was asking about.the serial # is118xx it is in 455 eley caliber that has had the chambers reamed to accept .45 Colt. stamped on the backstrap is N. W. M. P. 515 It has a 5 1/2 inch barrel. black checkerd grips lanyard ring on the butt with MP stamped above it It had a blue finish that is mostly gone. The bore looks perfect and it is a great shooter. I would appreacate any info on it.
Thanks, Blackhand

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Congratulations blackhand,as you have a sought after Northwest Mounted Police New Service made in 1916.(looks like from your address that it didn't get too far south!!!). The configuration you describe is correct for the NWMP New Services. Colt first sold the new service to the "Mounties" in 1904,soon after the model's introduction,and after World War One ended in 1918, it appeared the Mounties started ordering the more powerful .45 Coltchambered N. Services. I don't know enough about the Mountie Colts to know if THEY had some of the older ones coverted to .45 Colt,or the first "civilian owner",had your chambers reamed. Some advanced Colt collectors consider these NWMP(some are marked R.(Royal)N.W.M.P.) marked N.Services the "Holy Grail" of police marked Colts. Once saw one,in probably 95% condition,complete with the holster,belts etc. go for $2,000 at a show; 15 years ago! Hope this is of some help. Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info lonewolf.The gun came to me via new mexico and oklahoma. It was in my wife's family for the last 50 years or so.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nice aquisition. I saw one for sale a couple of weeks ago, .45LC, R.N.W.M.P. marked, about $1000, if I remember right. Don't remove the lanyard loop, it was designed to keep your gun attached to you if you fell off your horse, out of your canoe, or off your snowshoes. Most of the Mountie guns that I have seen didn't have a lot of finish left. You are better off with the .45LC caliber, as .455 is hard to find, the last I saw was being made by Dominion in Canada, some years back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With this paticular gun, i think the first civilian owner must have done the chamber conversion. The sights could only be regulated by using a 200 gr. bullet so I think the front sight must be for 455. ELEY. the ejector rod is also to short to clear the empty .45 colt cases so reloading is a little fussy, but I was not going to use speed loaders with it so that's not a problem. The trigger is not that bad,and it shoots very well. I don't shoot alot of rounds thru it because of it's age.

·
Registered
72 Posts
.455 has a thinner rim than .45 Colt and to make cases out of .45 Colt brass, you must thin the rim from the front so the primers will seat properly. Not an easy task unless you have a lathe. I remember reading somewhere that a gunsmith machined a sort of anvil/die to flatten out trimmed .45 Colt cases to make .455 cases. BTW, Hornady makes brass for the .455 Colt/Eley/Webley, which is the shorter MI cartridge. Lee makes dies and you can use Winchester or Remington .454 sized lead bullets meant for .45 Colt. These bullets have a hollow base so they will expand upon firing to grip the rifling. Ken Waters in "Petloads" has a very detailed article on the .455 Colt/Eley that is very interesting and informative. Please don't modify a .455 Eley gun to .45 Colt as they are lost to the ages when that is done. Get the ammo,brass, dies and bullets and enjoy it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
He stated that is HAS been rechambered already.LOST to the ages???Sure are a bunch of them......I have seven myself.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Since the gun has been rechambered to .45 Colt,I'd shoot those. As long as you use .454 bullets,you will be fine,and 8.0 of Unique is a great and mild .45 Colt load. if ya don't reload,I'd try some of the "Cowboy Loads" with lead .454 bullets;they will be more than safe in the new Service. I just measured the sight height on both an untouched "civilian".455 and a .45 Colt N.S. both with 5 1/2" bbls,so it seems someone has filed it too low for 250-265 gr. bullets. A little "trick" that will sometimes help the .455 to "eject" the longer .45 Colt cases further out; does the ejector rod tip have 3 checkered areas,separated by 2 grooves? If you can find a shorter ejector rod head,it will not hit the crane,as soon,thus throwing the empties out farther. Virginian,that bit about the die/anvil mightve been the late Major Nonte. While I loved his work,think of flattening the rim,by swaging it. The primer is going to stick up above the flattened rim. Only way to do it is to thin the rim from the front. I've tried this,and it took me forever,and R-P brass wont work like W-W. I'd rather spend my time decapping some berdan cases with my "hydraulic method". Bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts