Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for taking the time to read this post, looking at buying a Colt Pistol from the father-in-law. I have been all over the place online and came across this great site and just got signed up and have been reading like a madman trying to learn about this pistol and have had some luck but was hopeful someone could take a look and make sure I haven't wandered too far off course:bang_wall:. He has sent me a few pictures and described the gun but I was hopeful one of the many experts on here can get me up to speed so I do not offend him with a LOW ball offer or even worse I pay way too much.
I think It is a 1918 Police Positive Special .32-20
Serial # 157690 with a "X" Stamp under the serial number.
Can anyone help me with verifying the DOB of this revolver.
Does anyone know what the "X" might stand for?
It seems that the value to a rookie would fall in the $175-$355ish range depending on the condition -when I can actually get my hands on it. Am I close? what do those in-the-know think?
Thanks again
Phil

pps1.jpg pps2.jpg pps3.jpg

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It does look like a "special" from the long cylinder and, as such, 1918 would be the correct date. The X is an inspection stamp. I am not up on pricing these so I will defer, but the broken stock is a definite downer in the value. When you get the chance, you might want to run through the timing checks in this thread: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/1297-colt-revolver-timing-checks.html. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts