Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
rechambered for the powerful .41 Magnum cartridge by an unknown smith out of Texas

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign me up for some of that Frankenshooter. LOL

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could those chamber walls be any thinner? Who'd be crazy enough to shoot that prospective hand-mangler? -Asa

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Ever notice on these deals how key photographs are ALWAYS blurry.
Everything else is crystal clear.

It's not like it's a film camera where you don't know the picture is bad until you develop it, it's digital and you can see immediately it's bad and just take another.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Could those chamber walls be any thinner? Who'd be crazy enough to shoot that prospective hand-mangler? -Asa

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume all the .41 conversions were/are shot. That would be their purpose. I doubt that any blew up. The E/I-frame Colts were originally designed around .41 caliber chambers, so there is enough "meat" in the cylinder walls for a .41 caliber chamber, and the Python cylinders are heat-treated for strength. If I recall correctly, the .41 Magnum does not operate at as high a pressure as the original .357 Magnum. Opening up a Python cylinder to .41 caliber only requires removing .026-inch from each side of the chamber, which is not very much.

In "eye-balling" the cylinder on an N-frame Smith in .44 caliber, the cylinder walls on the .41 caliber Python do not look any thinner to me.

As far as some dude recahmbering it in his garage somewhere, yes, that is possible, but that dude must also have a boring and rifling machine, something my garage is missing, even though it does have some chambering reamers.

While the close-up photography is poor and I agree with the comment about knowing it instantly, the barrel marking looks really good in the fuzzy picture.

I, for one, would like to have one of these conversions, just for the heck of it, but I want other guns for the same money more, so will probably pass. It is tempting though.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I would also like to have one for a conversation piece but like you judge, there are just too many others I would rather have.

·
Registered
448 Posts
At least the guy didn't try to pass it off as "factory" original. It sounds like the advertisement is honest in its evaluation.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Can you say "boom"?!

Judge Colt;

The frame was originally designed around the .41 Long Colt cartridge true enough, but was it designed for .41 cartridges that operate in the pressure ranges encountered with the .41 Magnum? The .41 Magnum case is slightly larger in diameter than is the .41 Long Colt as well.

Now I'm such an odd duck that if Colt was to bring back the Python and make it available in .41 Long Colt I'd have one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Opening up a Python cylinder to .41 caliber only requires removing .026-inch from each side of the chamber, which is not very much.

In "eye-balling" the cylinder on an N-frame Smith in .44 caliber, the cylinder walls on the .41 caliber Python do not look any thinner to me. " -- Judge Colt

In taking a look at the pictures the forcing cone appears to be really thin and could be the weak link. Guess one could use ".41 Specials" at low pressure(??). Wonder how it would be if converted to 10mm?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like no one took the bait (not even a nibble)...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This gun will only sell as a Frankenstein or as someone wrote as a conversation piece. It amazes me that there are still people outthere trying to sell this stuff to collectors who are well aware of the fact that this is not the real deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts