Colt Forum banner

Another Python newbie *UPDATED W/PICS*

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  GSJon 
#1 ·
Hello folks. First time poster here. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info on my Python. Yes, I've been searching Google, yes, I've searched these forums if anyone is wondering.

Here's my observations:
- S/N is 36266
- Royal Blue
- 4"
- The wood grips do not look varnished, checkered all over except for the borders, gold medallion and no relief cut into the tops (service grips from 3 or 2.5" Bbl Pythons, apparently)
- Looks to be around 95% condition but I'm no expert

So, what do I have on my hands? I traded a mint H&K USP Compact in .45ACP for this fine pistol and I think the other guy got ripped off. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Re: Another Python newbie

First, I'm no expert here and others who follow will be able to shed more light...but, that said, I'm not sure what you described makes sense as a "correct" Python. The serial number you give shows a date of manufacture of 1965 (proofhouse.com). However the hollow lug was only used on the early Pythons from 1955 to late 1950's. The fully checkered grips were also only used on the early Pythons. So, my guess is you either listed the wrong serial number or someone has changed the grips and used the wrong vintage. The hollow lug I can't explain if this is truely a 1965 vintage (1965 I don't think has the hollow lug)....Anyway, I'm curious to see what the more experienced members of this forum are thinking.

#3 ·

Welcome aboard,
Is there any way we can get a couple pictures posted. That may clear up some things.
Pictures are worth a thousand words and may clear up a few things.
As Bubba stated, double check that serial number for us too.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

#4 ·

congrats on a fine revolver. it`s very possible that your gun was shipped with full checkered grips, they should be # inside. i dont know the exact date the hollow lug was changed but my 1961 has it.nicely done trade, you just traded a 2000 volkswagen for a 1950`s caddilac. i agree with previous posters let`s SEE it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#5 ·

I'll get some pics up in a while, as I'm busy trying to fix something on my car that decided to break at the wrong time. Hopefully I won't have to pay the dealership $300 for the part.

Maybe you can explain the hollow lug for me a bit more. In the rear of the lug, it seems to be hollow. Would it have to extend through the front to be truly "hollow"? I may have messed that up. Take it easy on me, I am prone to make mistakes. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'll get the pics up once I've decided what's happening with my poor car... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thank you for the welcomes!

Found a pic of what the grips look like:

The wood grips on the right in the middle of the ivory grips are EXACTLY what I've got... which is strange. Hmm.

#7 ·

Hello and welcome, GSJon
Sounds like a fine gun. My guess on date of manufacture would be 1964 (R.L. Wilson). You might try putting a pipe-cleaner or a Q-tip forward of the front end of the ejector-rod housing. That will show you definitely what the 'solid-vs-hollow lug' thing is all about. As far as the trade you executed...In my opinion you are the victor. Anxious to see some pictures!
Don

#9 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Hello again GSJon,
When I said post a picture, I din't mean one of MINE /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[/ QUOTE ]
Just used it to show what the grips looked like, please don't think I was trying to steal ownership or anything of the sort. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now that I'm not so busy (for the moment) I can post some pics.

After examining it, I've decided to replace the grips (anyone want them? LOL) with something that suits me better, and use it as a carry weapon once I get my license. Yup, it's going to be a shooter.

I'd like to strip it and clean it to the best of my ability. I tend to clean my weapons more than I shoot them, my H&K was flawless with around 500-700 rds through it. Clean as any fired weapon could possibly be. Anyone have a guide for stripping and cleaning these revolvers? I'm just scared my screwdriver might slip and mess up this gorgeous finish!

BTW, I'm more of a Semi-Auto guy, so outside of qualifying with a revolver for a second job as an armed guard I have very little experience with them.

#10 ·

I think you are making a wise move by replacing the grips. Your gun, as all the 4" and longer barrels did, came with fully checkered oversize target stocks. Maybe the target stocks were too large for the previous owner. The ones you have most likely came from an Official Police. Were you joking when you asked if anyone wanted them? If you weren't joking, they'd look good on my 6" Official Police. The grips that came with it are badly worn, and I've been looking for a decent pair of correct service stocks for it.

#12 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Were you joking when you asked if anyone wanted them? If you weren't joking, they'd look good on my 6" Official Police. The grips that came with it are badly worn, and I've been looking for a decent pair of correct service stocks for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really think I'd need them, so I'll research a fair price for them and see if you're game for it. I've got a PayPal account (in good standing, of course) and sell on eBay all the time with great feedback as both a seller and buyer.

Anyone have any good suggestions regarding grips for these revolvers?

#14 ·

shooter grade pythons start at around 500$ and run to maybe 700. your gun appears very nice and is an early vintage my guess would be 700 up. you will see nib guns advertised for 1000- 1500 but i dont think many are sold. please see the judge`s excellent comment on gun values in the classified section under 1911 f/s.

#18 ·
Hi, I'm in total agreement with guy. Sold a 8" nickel Python on Auction Arms for $1026 recently. There are two New In Box 6" blued Pythons on Auction Arms right now that are selling for around $1200-$1300 with 12 hours to go, those prices are sure to rise before those auctions end. I myself own a USP 40 but would love to own a Python like the one you traded for. It looks awesome in your photos, maybe you should save it and buy a cheaper shooter. I have sold several guns on Auction Arms and I believe you could almost surely see $900 if you decided to sell. Just my opinion, Randy

#19 ·
Thank you shoodaddy and guy sajer for your replies.

I'm contemplating selling this Python to someone who desires a Python in good condition to store safely away for later years. I can't, in good faith, keep this around in my safe since I have a personal policy that every firearm I own is a shooter. I just don't collect firearms. I also don't want to ruin a fine example that could make someone happy, or complete their collection.

Thoughts?

#20 ·
Probably a good idea. In my travels I have only seen a couple of 4" Pythons with original service stocks, so I would think it would be a good find for a Python collector. Whatever you do, keep the original stocks with the gun, it would be a shame to separate them. Good Luck.

#22 ·
No monster. When the 4 inch "Police Python" was introduced, about 1961, Colt made service stocks available for officers who wanted a smaller version that would be easier to carry while sitting in a squad car, etc. That being said, I don't remember ever seeing service stocks cataloged; but I have seen one or two NIB some years ago. Keep in mind that these were the standard stocks on the later snubbie Python, so they could have been switched by a previous owner, or even the gold medallions could have been added to service stocks from another model. If original, I would say it's somewhat scarce.
B.W.

#24 ·
I'm not sure. The only possibility would be a factory letter. I've never lettered a Python, so I don't know if the letter would specify the style of stocks. Of those Colts that I have letters for, it states the stock material, such as walnut, pearl, or hard rubber; but not the style. Pre-war stocks were inscribed with the gun's serial number, but that was long before your Python. If you could trace the gun back a couple of owners that might help, too.

Just to get you wound up, I know of a similar Python for sale with its box and some provenance of the original owner. Asking price - $1500. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

#25 ·
Unfortunately all I've got is the word of a fellow LE officer about its origins/history (not usually a bad thing). Apparently the original owners were an old lady and her husband. They kept it around for home defense, and the only time it was fired by them was when he took her out to show her how to shoot. 1 box of .38 special was fired.

The guy I got it from heard that the lady was selling the Python after her husband passed away and she was moving into a retirement home. The old "heard about it from a friend of a friend" routine, if you will. Andy (the LE Officer) put two boxes each of .357 and .38 special through it, so the revolver apparently only has 250 rds downrange since it was produced. He has another Python as his shooter, and needed the .45 ACP I was selling, so he got rid of his "safe queen."

So, I'm the third owner of this pistol. Once I can get some good info on how to clean up the lockwork of all old lube and give the pistol a thorough going over, I just may take a bunch of high-resolution photos and sell it. It sounds too valuable/special for a range-lurking heathen like myself to keep.

Only things I've noticed on the pistol as flaws is the marks on the cylinder (I don't know what to call it, but there's "drag" marks from the little pin on the bottom of the frame that holds the cylinder locked from rotating), and two small spots of worn bluing on the back strap and on the bottom of the trigger guard. Oh, and the general lack of a completely anal going-over regarding it's cleanliness by myself... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Forgot to add, I do have the original box and the "wax paper" that the gun came with. Unfortunately it looks like someone sat on the box. Poor thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.