Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question about the 4" nickel Python I found for sale. It seems the store sold the gun awhile ago and the owner brought it back because of something he didn't like about the trigger/hammer. When you cock the gun and hold the hammer so that when you pull the trigger and slowly lower the hammer you can feel it hitting on several catches in the first 1/4" of travel. When you cycle the gun normally DA or SA you can't feel this (because you aren't holding the hammer)and it appears to be normal. Any ideas on what's going on? I tried another Python and the hammer movement was smooth.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
It's possible there may be a problem with the double action strut.
This is a spring-loaded "lever" on the front of the hammer, which can be seen with the hammer cocked.

If the strut has been mis-fit or altered, it can hit and even catch on the trigger and cause this.

What to do depends on how bad it is.
It's possible the strut would need to be replaced and fitted. This shouldn't cost too much, since the strut isn't expensive.

Another possibility is a too-long stud on the safety interlink catching on the hammer.
This is a simple fix of either replacing the part or beveling the hammer skirt.

Colt or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters can repair whatever it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"It's possible there may be a problem with the double action strut."
I went back to the store and their gunsmith opened the Python up and checked. He said it was a mess...someone had been in there that didn't know what they were doing and that it was just luck that the gun would work at all. After about a hour of tinkering he had it back together and the catches are gone. Now I'm the owner of my first Python...but I have to wait a week from next Monday for the paperwork to clear. Color me happy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts