Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Colt has the solid brown grips while I noticed in my previous post that the absolutely beautiful pristine Colt presented had the mottled brown grips. I'm guessing mine aren't original. I have a 1951 1911 with the solid brown grips. My question is; when did Colt change the color or did they use the solid and the mottled grips concurrently? Why did they discontinue the mottled brown grips? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Not sure, but 2nd series Woodsman grips: Coltswood 1947-50, injection molded 1950-55. Initially wood grain color, later brown. re Bob Rayburn's Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide p. 41

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The beautiful marbled "Coltwood" stocks are typically found on Super .38 models from serial number 72000/73000 up through 80000/81000 (approximately late 1948 to middle 1950). By late 1950, Colt changed from a thermo-set process to injection molding. The new method along with new resins eliminated the brittle characteristic of the former stock design, but unfortunately the marbling effect became very difficult to duplicate. From this point on, the color evolved into a solid dark brown.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beautiful marbled "Coltwood" stocks are typically found on Super .38 models from serial number 72000/73000 up through 80000/81000 (approximately late 1948 to middle 1950). By late 1950, Colt changed from a thermo-set process to injection molding. The new method along with new resins eliminated the brittle characteristic of the former stock design, but unfortunately the marbling effect became very difficult to duplicate. From this point on, the color evolved into a solid dark brown.
I appreciate the information and thank you all for following my thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts