Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one's not so good as the others I posted, but it wasn't too expensive and I did not have a 4 3/4 inch barrel example. Serial is 125445, caliber is .45LC. Trigger has a bit clipped off the top but still works two of the bents okay. Bore is fine and I particularly like the eagle grips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
This is my favorite configuration that I collect except I try to stick with blue specimens.

1.jpg

Did you letter it to see what dealer it was shipped to?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Jason:
I like your SAA. Back in the '80s I had a shadow box table top in my Gun Room with four Nickel and four Blue Black Powder 4 3/4" guns a lot like yours. Sadly now all gone, but the real estate deal paid off.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I can tell the trigger sear is worn off or broken off by its position.

Caution: If it wasn't reshaped (thinned) at the sear, it's too fat to fit in the loading notch of the hammer and could chip it off.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
W/that much off the end of the trigger the bolt may not recede enough in the 1/2 cock position for it to clear the cyl when it's turned,& if someone filed off the top of the bolt to allow it to clear it can result in damage to the lock slots because not enough of the bolt is going into the lockslot to insure proper lockup,when the trigger has been damaged the hammer sears have probably been damaged also,the two usually go hand in hand making the gun unsafe.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Jason, I just checked to see if your nickel .45 might be the 2nd one of the pair Bat Masterson ordered straight from Colt in 1886, but your's is earlier. I believe only one of the Masterson pair is known. That would have increased the already considerable value a little bit, I guess:).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't got round to lettering it yet, life is so hectic these days, I never see to get round to doing that. I also checked on the Bat Masterson possibility, it's one I think would benefit from checking with Colt's. Really top condition guns have never done anything, been anywhere, but worn guns could have had an interesting life, and might be more promising to letter.

I had the hammer out, safety bent is undamaged, half cock is a bit worn, but full cock is okay too. To fully clear the bolt from the cylinder notches I have to hold the hammer back passed half cock, which is something one would expect with a SAA in this condition. I will try to get a replacement trigger before I use it

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Retain it's value and proper function: be sure to get a COLT trigger and a 1st generation trigger!

Recognize, it should be checked and fitted. I've seen too many good hammer notches snapped off by just slipping in a new trigger that hasn't been checked for fitting!

On an original old classic gun like that, I suggest Jim Martin for a trigger and to do it right with a proper tune of the action. You could shoot it the rest of your life and never need any more work on it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I haven't got round to lettering it yet, life is so hectic these days, I never see to get round to doing that. I also checked on the Bat Masterson possibility, it's one I think would benefit from checking with Colt's. Really top condition guns have never done anything, been anywhere, but worn guns could have had an interesting life, and might be more promising to letter.

I had the hammer out, safety bent is undamaged, half cock is a bit worn, but full cock is okay too. To fully clear the bolt from the cylinder notches I have to hold the hammer back passed half cock, which is something one would expect with a SAA in this condition. I will try to get a replacement trigger before I use it
If u have to hold the hammer back it's MORE than a bit worn, the hammer needs to be rebuilt before a new trigger is put in.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
JasonJapan,

I wold highly recommend you send your revolver to Jim Martin and have it repaired correctly. When you get it back, and quickly, you will have a better revolver action than when it came from Colt! Jim wrote the book on SAA revolver actions.

As to writing the book, Jim actually did the work in Kuhnhousen's book on the Colt Single Action Revolver! You need to get a copy of this book and read it well. Here is a link to amazon.com for the book. The best money you can spend to know and understand the action: https://www.amazon.com/Colt-Single-...s=Colt+single+action+army+revolver+kuhnhousen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts