Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw another Series 70 last week, and though I already have a few, I couldn't resist. It's very nice, but nothing spectacular. .45 ACP (naturally!). Used but in great condition, with extra magazine, blue box and everything. I got it at a fair price, too.

It looks a bit shiny in the photo because I just cleaned it and ran over it with a silicone cloth.

WP_20171111_20_51_00_Pro.jpg

The downside is that whoever owned this gun overlubricated it. There was some thick neon-yellow goo in the magazine, barrel, and slide. It was practically oozing from the ejection port in the slide. Nothing that some Break-Free and some elbow grease couldn't fix, but it did get me thinking. When a car dealer buys an automobile, they clean it up to make it looks good before they put it out on the lot to sell. Why don't gun dealers do the same? In some cases, it might help move the gun more quickly.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Nice score...gotta love a Series 70.

Gun store guys really ARE lazy...can't tell you how many times I had one hand over a firearm with smudged finger prints all over it...and not check to see if it was loaded.

{ I always check...even if they don't }

Like it's too much trouble to take a rag and wipe it down before putting it back into the display case.

I mean...why wouldn't you !? You ARE trying to sell it...right !?

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
A certain well-known dealer in antique arms always had a lot of consignment stuff that he passed off as belonging to him.

Whenever he'd do a gun show, what 'actually' belonged to him was wrapped or zippered up and neatly stored for transport.

The consignment stuff was just thrown into cardboard boxes - banging off everything.

His idea was that since they were all old - buyers had to expect some dings.

Some gunshops just don't care...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts