Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought others might like to see an interesting old tintype that I recently acquired showing an unidentified man posing with a Colt Single Action revolver. I think it was probably made about 1876. It's similar to one made of notorious gunman John Wesley Hardin (4th photo).

Since tintype images are reversed, I flipped a few of these photos so they are orientation correctly.

Rusty Edwards

View attachment 643161 View attachment 643163 View attachment 643165 View attachment 643167

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
A neat early image of a 1-piece walnut gripped Colt SAA. At first I thought it had a round ejector head (pre-1880), but not sure. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: WVCOLT

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Love these type of photos.. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Great picture. I stared at the guys face trying to see if he reminded me of anyone famous from my million western books. I can't enlarge on this computer. Can you see bullets peaking out in the chambers?

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to tell if the cylinder is loaded, but you can definitely see that his finger is on the trigger.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some More Old West Photos

Here are a few more Old West tintype photos from my collection. The first is a teamster (a wagon or stage coach driver) with his whip, the second one shows five cowboys in their bunkhouse; the third shows three men, possibly a father and his two sons, and the last one shows a boarding house during the 1880s. Interestingly, the building has screens on the windows. Screens started to appear on windows in the mid-1800s.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
When I see old pictures at the flea market or antique shops I look for ones of people with guns that are very desirable, and see if i might remotely find someone famous. No luck except this post card I've posted before. Probably sheepmen from the late teens or 20s. I forgot what the consensus was here when I tried to date it. It's a posed but looks like an impromptu taken picture. Looks like Colt New Service and for sure a SAA with wood grips. Hey! Maybe that's Charles M. Russell on the left!!

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A Few More Tintypes

Here are three more original tintype images that I recently added to my collection.

The first shows a serious-looking man wearing a sombrero, crossed gun-belts, and leather chaps. He's armed with two unidentified handguns (at least one probably a Colt) and a large double-barrel shotgun.

The second image shows two men, one holding a bottle of whisky and the other displaying an Iver Johnson "Defender" .32 caliber rimfire revolver.

The third image shows a work-crew aboard a railroad handcar.

These images are in their original cases, illustrated in the last photo.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
709 Posts
Here are three more tintype images that I recently added to my collection.

The first shows a serious-looking man wearing a sombrero, crossed gun-belts, and leather chaps. He's armed with two unidentified handguns (at least one probably a Colt) and a large double-barrel shotgun.

The second image shows two men, one holding a bottle of whisky and the other displaying an Iver Johnson "Defender" .32 caliber rimfire revolver.

The third image shows a work-crew aboard a railroad handcar.

Rusty Edwards

Those chaps with pockets for fencing tools must have been a real handy item to wear out on the range. It's easy to imagine being dismounted and walking the fence line and not having to keep going back to the saddle bags.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Growing up around old time cattlemen and cowboys, I would not put walking and chaps in the same sentence either. Most old time cowboys I knew and know would mount up to ride from one post to the next. Some of the fences could be a half day ride between posts.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Truth is the old time full length chaps are pretty confining. Made for protection so they are awkward at best and hard to walk in. Not all that easy to get on the horse wearing them either. By the time you get on you aint wanting to get off again real soon. Checking a fence is different than fixing fence and making emergency repairs. That is why they had wagons back in the day and fence crews.

Even ****** (half chaps) and the lighter version, Armitas, aren't something you'd typically wear on the ground outside the branding trap. And even then not a single person in the ground crew at the last branding I was at this spring wore chaps or ******. Most of the riders doing the roping had one or the other version.

Two riders wearing ******

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I ride in southern NM and AZ, and seldom wear them unless going off trail. When riding through brush though, they help. Everything in the desert either bites, stings, is poisonous, or is sharp. But my mules don't like getting stuck either, so unless hunting, I stay in the open.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts