Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

After lurking around this board for the past month or so, absorbing as much of the vast knowledge shared I thought I'd share a pic of my new (to me) Trooper MKIII.

I picked it up a few weeks ago from a local gun shop where I was originally looking to see if they had any used S&W 586's to buy. Well suffice to say they didn't have the 586, but while perusing through the glass cases I spotted this beauty with an asking price of $375.

After handling it a bit and checking it out I asked if the owner would mind if I took it out back to the range to test it because it seemed to fit my hand "just right". A box of .38spl later I had to have it.

What supprised me about this colt was how smooth the trigger was, and how accurate it shot! It's far more accurate than I am.

So after the last few weeks, and about 800 rounds of .357mag, and .38spl It's definately a keeper. If there's anything I'd want to change it would be the grips. Although they feel great they're a little slick when my hands sweat, and I'd like to get something with a bit more bite to them. Any suggestions on other grips, and how to get the existing ones off (there's no screw)?

Thanks!
-Paul

Oh yeah... I believe it to be made in 1977 (s/n L444xx), it came without a box or papers, and if I had to venture a guess on %condition I'd say about it's probably in the 95% range. Sound about right?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Paul, Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing.

Your photo 'setup' is awesome. The pic is worthy of placing on my computer desktop.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Those look like the old Mustang grips.
I "think" they snap on. To remove I believe you use a thin screwdriver or dull knife blade to "pop" the halves apart, but it's been over 20 years since I actually saw a pair.

A lot of Colt revolver owners like the Hogue Mono-Grip, which come only in fancy wood for the Trooper Mark III.
These are available in a number of options like checkering and choice of finger grooves or not.

In rubber,about the only remaining choices are the Pachmayr models, of which the Gripper model feels the best to most people.

The Trooper Mark III is one of the most under-rated revolvers around, and a real "sleeper".

Now you need to find one in .22LR. The .22LR version is possibly the best shooting .22 revolver of them all.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I agree with DFW, those are Mustang stocks. I sold them in the 1970s and I always thought they were the best-feeling, bar none. (I still have a few sets on hand, both in wood and rubber.) DFW is also correct in that they do "snap" together. You should be able to pull them apart just by hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got one myself, thay are cool. I've been searching for new grips and a decent holster. I think the only Pachmayer's available are the Presentation model. My Trooper came with them, with a Colt Medallion. Herrets also list's grips for the Trooper. Just ordered some Shooting Star's from someone on this site. If the Grippers are still available, I'd try them also.
Bob

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
On second thought, I think maybe Pachmayr DID NOT make anything for the Trooper Mark III except a large and a small Presentation grip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Addicted!
I must've snapped about 50 pics of it because it really is a nice piece. After seeing all the beautiful pistolas posted here I felt that a pic of it just sitting on my desk under flouerscent bulbs just wouldn't cut it so I broke out the ol' Pledge and went to town on one of my end tables because that's the only nice piece of wood in the whole house! (I really should dust more often... Even my can of Pledge had dust on it!).

Anyway.. here's one of my favorites I shot and is now on my desktop.

I've got plenty more, but I don't want to be post whore about it because some of the pics are huge!

Thanks again
-Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right after I posted I picked at the top halves of the grips and sure enough.. they snapped right apart.

I've never seen anything like it.

I've seen the Pachmayr presentation grips before, and know they're still available. Maybe I'll give them a shot, but in all honesty I'd really prefer a nice checkered wood grip(s). We'll see.

And yeah... I definately forsee a .22LR in my future as well!

Thanks

-Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
R Moran-

Thanks for the suggestions, and happy shooting with yours. What exactly are the "Shooting Stars"?

Thanks
-Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pablito,
There a model offered by Herrett's. I believe Badger and Eagle grips offers models for the Trooper also, not sure though. I'll let you know how the Shooting Star's are when they arrive.
Bob

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had a similar experience with a 6" 357 Mark III like yours (except for the factory stocks). Mine shoots very well and the trigger is so smooth. It fits my Python holsters nicely for woods carry and the along the trail. At the moment, it is the only Colt I shoot. Have a couple 22's that are too nice to shoot. That really sounds bad, because what are guns for anyway? Shooting!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've got plenty more, but I don't want to be post whore about it because some of the pics are huge!

Thanks again
-Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry!

I don't mind a nice picture being a bit big.
So feel free and post some more. Your gun and the quality of your pictures are great!

Congrats and keep'm smoking!

Gunsmoke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paul,

You wrote:
"I'd really prefer a nice checkered wood grip"

OK, check this out: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=119908

These appear to be Colt Factory grips (at least that's what the ad says. And not a bad price, either. You'll have to find a grip screw somewhere (like Brownells) or a gun show, or maybe a member of the forum has an extra for sale.

Lorin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts