Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had decided to sell my Police Positive Mark V to fund another project. Looking at Gunbroker the only two listed are starting at $950 and $1250. My pistol is in excellent condition with the exception of a flaw on the cylinder (shown in picture). Looking for input on a reasonable price to post the pistol at on the forum. image1 (006).jpg image2 (004).jpg image3 (002).jpg

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I think it's an excellent revolver (I have one) but to be honest, all it has going for it is the heavy barrel and low production numbers. Outside of that it's really no different than any other steel D-frame Colt. Just because of the short production run doesn't necessarily translate into extra value. Personally...I think those asking prices are very optimistic...but the saying that "not having paid too much but bought too soon" may come into play here. Older D-frames in equal condition are more collectible to my mind. Maybe these might get there one day...but not today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree the Gunbroker prices are out of line. I am looking for a price range that is reasonable in today's market. I have had the pistol long enough that I do not remember what I paid for it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I agree with snidely. I dearly love mine but those prices seem a bit over the top.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Due to the flaw on the cylinder which relegates it to shooter status, I'd say maybe the $475-$525 range + or -. It really depends on the area you live in...and how badly someone might want it.

Reactions: webley455

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
I have been lucky finding shooter grade blued 38 diamondbacks for $7-800. So below that price is my personal stopping point for one of these but I do want to add one someday.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
If you are selling try for $900 and come down if it doesn't move. Just not an easy gun to find and it is a Colt.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just not an easy gun to find and it is a Colt.
Definitely not an easy gun to find, as I never knew they existed.

Perhaps the Colt Fever website could update and include this model.

Kind of weird to have it called a Police Positive MKV, as that insinuates the MKV action design. After I seen this was a V spring in the classifieds, I went to Colt Fever first, then here to see if anyone asked about it.

Can anyone teach me when this model was introduced and for how long it was produced please?

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
It had a 1994-1995 production run. No idea how many were produced. You don't see them very often so production numbers must not be high or buyers like them so much they won't part with them :confused: I picked mine up when they were new...nice piece but realistically it's a standard D-frame with a full underlug barrel. I agree about the "Mark V" designation...it's confusing to say the least.

The one thing I don't like about it is that they came with Colt/Pachmayr Compac stocks...out of place on a 4" barrel revolver. I replaced mine with Colt/Pachmayr Presentation stocks and it looks more proportional and handles better. I guess it must have been a cost issue with Colt.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I think I figured out why Colt went with the Compac grips...the revolver will not fit in the molded blue plastic box it came in with the Presentation grips. I remember that now after I installed the Presentation grips. The revolver resides in my office desk drawer rather than the box which is stored away.

I'm sure Colt decided it was far more cost effective to equip them with Compac grips rather than have new boxes molded to fit with something else. If they were using the foam filled boxes in use now it wouldn't be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts