Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Hello 118artist welcome to the forum. You have what looks like a pretty nice old 1911 gov't model. Please post this in the Colt Semi Auto Pistols section of the forum with many more pictures.
We have a lot of 1911 experts here that can offer their assistance in valuing your gun. I'm sure we also have many members here that may be interested in buying it.
You will get a fair valuation of the pistol here on the forum.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Oh one more suggestion, do not continue to store it in the holster. Leather holsters hold moisture which is bad for the steel. That's why there is some corrosion on the outside of the gun. You should apply some gun oil to the outer surfaces and in the bore and not keep it in the holster.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Hello 118artist welcome to the forum. You have what looks like a pretty nice old 1911 gov't model. Please post this in the Colt Semi Auto Pistols section of the forum with many more pictures.
We have a lot of 1911 experts here that can offer their assistance in valuing your gun. I'm sure we also have many members here that may be interested in buying it.
You will get a fair valuation of the pistol here on the forum.
I notice it has a U.S. Property mark on the frame. Model of 1911 instead of gov't model?

·
Registered
747 Posts
C'mon over here. https://forums.1911forum.com/

I'm frequently there and with all due respect to this forum , they have some of the most knowledgeable 1911 collectors and experts. Some of them frequent here too.

Some better pics from all possible angles will get the info you need to know how much it's worth in today's market.

FWIW , those are patent dates shown. The actual year of manufacture can be determined from the serial number.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello 1118artist,

Welcome to the Colt Forum, I hope you find your answers here.

The first thing you should do is check your state's laws laws for transferring a firearm. This will tell you who you can sell to and what requirements you have to fulfill. This may also have an impact on the price.

The experts here will need detailed pictures to give you an accurate value or you can seek a local appraisal at a gun store.

About Appraisers:
You must be clear with an appraiser that you just want an appraisal. If someone appraises your pistol and then makes an offer to buy, walk out because by making an offer to buy the appraiser has discredited his valuation. Post good pictures on several gun forums and you will get a good sense of value from a wide range of collectors. This is an appraisal on the cheap but will work well in this instance.

Sale to a Gun Store:
If you sell to a gun store you will have the convenience of an easy sale but will receive a lesser price. This is totally legitimate as the gun store has to pay expenses to stay in business. This is typical in the resale business and 50% of value is not unusual.

Internet Auctions:
If you are a one time gun seller I don't think you should take this route. The research, fees, risk and time for one sale would not be worth it, especially if you are not a regular internet seller.

Once you know what requirements you have to meet to sell it, and what it is worth, then you can decide how and who to sell to.

Again, welcome to the forum and I hope this helps.

KNO[SUB]3[/SUB]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are more detailed photos of the 1911 Colt. I'm interested in finding out about how much it's worth and how best to sell it (from Florida). Thank you for all the advice! Colt, 4 small pic.jpg Colt bullet cases small pic.jpg Colt holster small pic.jpg Colt, 1 small pic.jpg Colt small pic.jpg

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Not knowing how much firearms experience you have, the first thing you should do is unload those magazines. If you take it around to any shops or anywhere else, you don't want to have loaded mags with you if you should happen to get stopped by the police for any reason. I can't make out the serial number to date it, but it looks like you have a WWI era 1911 with period magazines and a holster that could be WWI or WWII. From what I've seen around here, $1500-$2000.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from West Virginia. Glad your here. I'm sure the 1911 experts here can help you with your questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The serial number would help a lot on Year and value. I too have family 1911, it is a WWI bring back from my Grandfather (1913 year of make), I have been told my 1911 with out the mags holster is worth about 2,000 dollars , the serial number determines the date, the magazines being half blued I am told is a WWI thing later issue are all blued, the half blued mags have goog resale value in them-self, your holster appears exactly as mine at least the side that shows , mine is a confirmed WWI issue, also mine was in the same condition as yours rust wise thankfully with a lot of oil and massage the rust came off looks way better than it did when I got it, I've put an easy 1,000 rounds thru it, the old 1911 are safe to shot and draw a lot of interest at the range when I bring it out.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Condition is key with antique guns. Your condition is poor, with all that rust and corrosion, but I know it would clean up to look a lot better. Be careful - don't try to do any cleaning yourself. Simply oil it, and wipe it down a few times with a cloth. No abrasives, no steel wool, just wipe it down with a good oil (get some CLP breakfree at Walmart).

Then people appraising will have a better idea if it's a 20% or 80% gun. Hard to tell with all that gunk, verdigris from the brass holster fittings, and surface rust.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Not knowing how much firearms experience you have, the first thing you should do is unload those magazines. If you take it around to any shops or anywhere else, you don't want to have loaded mags with you if you should happen to get stopped by the police for any reason. I can't make out the serial number to date it, but it looks like you have a WWI era 1911 with period magazines and a holster that could be WWI or WWII. From what I've seen around here, $1500-$2000.
Also, not knowing how much firearms experience you have, with the magazines out of the gun also rack the slide back and make sure there is not a live round in the chamber.
That's a real gem you have there. That's going to clean up nice and be a really nice addition to someone's collection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts