Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you don't care about altering the gun because of potential collector value…you can have an upswept beavertail safety and a commander hammer fitted in the gun. This will then look like a current XSE model but without Novak style sights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you don't care about altering the gun because of potential collector value…you can have an upswept beavertail safety and a commander hammer fitted in the gun. This will then look like a current XSE model but without Novak style sights.
Thanks;can't stand the FCS of the XSE but prefer sights.Would cost too much to buy XSE and remove serrations with a press check cut(?) in the slide. Suggestions on a BT and hammer that could be installed without altering rest of gun just in case....?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have heard tell that Wilson Combat makes a "drop in" BT grip safety…..but "drop in" and 1911 have never been good friends in my experience…some here have had success with this part from WC….or so I have read on this forum.

Here is the gun we all want if you can live without any press check mods on the front of the slide….it is a 01991Z model from Colt…they just don't offer them that often.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you're not worried about collector value, you can "bob" the hammer spur slightly. I did this to a GM .38 Super I had; it took about 30 minutes of careful filing with a hand file, followed up with polishing with finer grades of sandpaper. I guess I removed about 1/10" in length, and I re-contoured the hammer spur to match the original profile. I used Oxpho-Blue to cover up the bare metal and I was good to go. I kept the traditional look of the gun and was able to shoot it without pain.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Just do what the military did and use a 1911A1 type grip safety. This would be a drop in and you could keep your 1911 type to put your pistol back to original.

Originally the Model 1911 had a short stubby hammer, but the horse cavalry complained that the hammer "might" be a problem in cocking or lowering the hammer with gloves. In 1914 a hammer with a longer spur was adopted, and it reached back over the short grip safety to bite the skin between the thumb and forefinger. There were immediate complaints of this, but it wasn't until the 10,000 pistols were ordered in 1923 that the longer grip safety was added. In 1939 the hammer spur was again shortened.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thankfully I do not get it with my o1911 or o1918. I have gotten "hammer bite" on an old Sistema Colt and an early RIA and I know it hurts like heck. Band Aid, mole skin, gloves; just suggestions before you start dropping in goosebut, er whatever grip safeties in there. Maybe have someone else show you how to hold it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just do what the military did and use a 1911A1 type grip safety. This would be a drop in and you could keep your 1911 type to put your pistol back to original.

Originally the Model 1911 had a short stubby hammer, but the horse cavalry complained that the hammer "might" be a problem in cocking or lowering the hammer with gloves. In 1914 a hammer with a longer spur was adopted, and it reached back over the short grip safety to bite the skin between the thumb and forefinger. There were immediate complaints of this, but it wasn't until the 10,000 pistols were ordered in 1923 that the longer grip safety was added. In 1939 the hammer spur was again shortened.

Very helpful;thanks.Might go with a Harrison retro hammer and the A1 grip safety or possibly a Wilson drop-in BT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.