Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shoot in a casual bowling pin league, my main gun for big bore is a Smith 629 8/3/8" .44, mainly to keep my Anaconda from taking a beating. Anyhow, I have a cool Smith 625 Performance Center .45 as well, but moon clips are not allowed in competition. I came across about 500 rounds of 45 auto rim which was old and from the 70's. Most of it shot, some didn't. But now I have all the brass and am not a reloader, but a guy that shoots with us does most of my reloads for me, he does great, and I take his word. Anyhow, he is not terribly familiar with the 45 AR, but usually loads his .45 with 7 grains of cfe with standard length 45, and a 230 grain bullet from acme or extreme. Anybody have any objections to this, or have a super great recipe for 45 AR on bowling pins? Please dumb it down for me, I trust him and don't know that much of the terminology and what not. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I never shot pins but I believe the recipe`s can be the same for both acp and auto rim. I also have both but haven't reloaded for either in quite awhile.

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
The .45 Auto Rim can be bought commercially in heavier loadings than the .45 ACP, with some using the 255 grain bullet. In your S&W revolver it can be loaded hotter than your standard .45 ACP loads.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Any load that is safe an your 45 ACP will be good in your 45 AR.
When I shot pins with a 1911, my go-to load was a 200 grain SWC over 5.5 grains of WW231.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you use a single stage loading press all you need to load auto rims is a auto rim shell holder. Dillon makes a shell holder for the 550. I really like the 5.6 grains of 231 and 200 grain lswc, most accurate load I can make and good for competition.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Yep, everything stated above. Remember you can also crimp those lead bullets so in short, it’s a very easy forgiving cartridge to load. A friend of mine has a Smith 1989 5” 45. Wow, what a shooter that gun is. I only shoot impromptu bowling pins sitting on the ground at my local range but good old 45 tears them up. We shoot them until they won’t stand on their own then they are in the trash. It appears it doesn’t matter if the load is mild or hot. I paid $1 each for over 100 pins from a bowling alley and its been money well spent for the fun they offer. Pins can also be tied at the neck and hang on a rebar metal frame. Have enough space for 5 and just keep shooting the pins not moving for fun. 10 yards is a good practicable range for this. For those wanting pins, call a bowling ally and get your name on a list for when the dispose of old pins, you might get them free if just show up and haul them away.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I shoot 45 A.R. in Colt New Service and a specially modified Ruger NMBH 45 ACP cylinder. As said above the dies are the same, just a different shell holder. Most load data shows a half grain lower powder charge in the A.R. I weighed the water from a R-P ACP case and a R-P A.R. case and the A.R. case does have slightly less powder capacity, consequently like charges will prove higher pressure in the A.R. case. Starline cases are heavier than R-P cases so the pressure grade may be even steeper. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I run .45 ACP loaded with 5.1 grains of Titegroup and a 200 grain RNFP using 1.185 OAL, both for USPSA competition and pins, in a 5" S&W M625-4. It's very accurate, relatively soft shooting, and deadly on pins. I have never tried .45AR, but the loading should be the same.

Buck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts