Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering but I have 2 New Frontier ,the 45colt and the 22mag/22lr convertible.They both have the adjustable black rear sites and ramp front blade.I think the 45 colt front blade is a bit narrower--more to my liking.Im having a hard time getting a sharp picture of the edges in the rear site and of course when shooting at distances of small targets the front blade seems to thick to get a precise alignment.Any suggestions? Ive heard of Eliason and bowen rear sites?Or the White outlined ones?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
All Colt handguns used the same rear sight, and the same rear sight cut.

The standard Colt sight is the Accro, and on the Gold Cup and as a special order, there was the target-grade Colt Ellison.

Available rear sights for Colt handguns are the Millet and the factory Ellison.

There may be more, but those are the ones I know.

The Millet comes with a variety of inserts for the blade.
You can get a plain black target blade, a fancy white outline version, and a two dot version.
Millet make different height versions for the Gold Cup, a lower version for standard 1911 autos, and a standard version for revolvers.

Millet sights run 'about $50.00 or so.

The Ellison is a very good target sight and comes with a large rear sight blade, that's grooved to break up reflected light.
They only come in plain black, as befits a true target sight.
Price is around $115.00.

A cheaper option would be to buy a new Accro rear sight blade, and file the notch slightly wider.
New Accro sight blades are available in plain black and in white outline.
Price is a much more reasonable $12.00 to $13.00.

Accro blades are very simple to install, and either a white outline or filing the notch wider would help.

Price-wise, I'd start off with a white outline blade for my existing sight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dfarris-I noticed your very thorough!!Yeah Im not sure yet if I need a slightly wider slot or a slightly thinner front blade.The screwy thing is once in a while Ill manage a great 25 yard group like yesterday I shot 6 times with the magnum cylinder in the little colt nf and placed them in a 1 3/4" group open sights bench rested with the 4 5/8" barrel. But guaranteed I pick up the gun again and it will open to 4"!! I just feel aiming 6 oclock at the 3" black square in the louzy incadescent light at the indoor range I dont see sharp enough to be that precise.I feel those few good groups I get were shot from instinctive hold rather than aiming!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Colt rear sights have always had a problem with the rear notch being a little too narrow for a good sight picture.
And this is worse indoors under artificial light.

I'd recommend either the white outline which will give the optical illusion of being wider, or just buy a new black rear blade and filing the notch slightly wider with a needle file.

I would NOT attempt working on the front. That's not necessary, and you always alter the part that's easiest/cheapest to replace if you botch it.
Sight blades for the Accro are a LOT cheaper to replace than a new barrel.

An of course, I'd delicately ask, "How's your eye sight? Need glasses"?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha-- I do wear glasses but I can see 2015. Like I said I manage once in a while the under 2" groups at 25 yards but I cant do it consistantly.I think I will try your suggestion of getting a raplacement accro blade from Midway and filing it wider .May also buy the white outlined one too since they are cheap. Thanks Dfarris.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured my colt NF, S&W17 and Ruger Flat top rear site notches and they are all .126" wide.S&W sell .126,.146 and .160 width rear site notches for their guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts