Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a Browning High Power. I personally love the history and the looks of these pistols. That being said, can these pistol be shot on a regular basis? This high-power was manufactured in the "90's" and the LGS is asking $1147.00. The bluing is very good as are the grips. It has a adjustable rear sight. What do you "guys" think, a BPH or a Colt Combat Elite?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Great pistol.
One of my favorites and they maintain their value if cared for.
For collection purposes stay with a Belgian model.
Fixed sights, ring hammer and pouched models are preferred.
Portugal assembled models are less.
That '90s pistol is overpriced.
I see several at each show, buy and sell them regularly and have a few keepers stashed away in the safe.
Going rate for a nice one is $900- $1400 depending on specs and condition.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Grrrrrrr...... I had a nice concise narrative started on here, to extoll the virtures of the FN Browning M-35 High Power Grande Priussance.
I said what a tough pistol it was.
I said it is the one that all the 9mms must be compared to.
I said that they are hard to wreck unless you are stupid, dumb, or both.
But all that good, well written commentary evaporated when I went to chase down the images......Grrrrrrr....
It is a good pistol(great, actually)
There are a lot of 30's era survivors that still run good.
If you can get an FN High Power, grab it. There won't be any more new ones.
So, ^^this is what I have.
These are in my pile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
First handgun I owned was a Hi Power. My soon to be wife bought it for me 30 years ago....I still have both of them. I also have a new Hi Power. Both have the C&S no bite hammer. I like them very much.

Today I was out shooting my new Colt 1911 m45. It is a shooting machine and reminded me why my first love is the 1911.

You should probably buy the Hi Power now and get the 1911 later. Hi Powers are hard to come by but the 1911 is better.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I absolutely love mine. A mid 70's model made in Belgium. The only negative: The magazine safety is designed to where it and it's spring are pinned to the back of the trigger. While the trigger is being pulled this part actually pushes against the magazine and drags on it. Makes for the beginnings of a very strange gnarly trigger pull.

Anyway, it is still a classic and everyone should own at least one or two.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE MAKING IT TOUGH!!!!! You are making me want to go out and buy that BHP!!! Man that is a great bunch of high-powers!!! I am truly envious!!!!
Well. then....what are you waitin' for?
Get down there first thing tomorrow morning and buy that badboy.
You will never regret it.
You sure as hell will regret it if you don't jump on it now.
Make hay while the sun shines.
Strike while the iron's hot.
You know what you must do.
Post when you have the pistol.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts