Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a Colt Buntline Special in 45 Colt with a 12 in barrel. It was made in 1980, and I will post pictures when I can pick it up in 3 more weeks. In NJ we can only buy one handgun every 31 days. I really need to move South...
Are all Buntline Specials worth lettering? Does anyone know the actual production numbers for third generation Buntliness, and would these be custom shop guns? It does not have the original box and condition is around 96-97%.
Should be real fun to shoot.
It anyone has one, I would love to see some pictures and hear your opinions from owning one.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
I have one ( welcome to the club!), the original boxes were long and plan tan cardboard colored box with egg crated black foam interior. A spotting scope case makes a wonderful range case to carry the gun to the range. I would not waist money on a letter. It’s most likely original and while few were made, some dealers and owners had the barrels changed to short barrels to sell the gun. I don’t think I have heard of someone having a standard length barrel SAA installing a buntline barrel and just look at the buntline barrels on eBay and gun broker to confirm this. Everyone smiles when they see a buntline and want to hold it but even fewer will actually buy one. Hell yes they are fun to shoot and of course manage recoil very well indeed. It’s maybe because I own 2 buntlines ( one is the Ned Buntline nickel NF) that since owning the other 3 common barrel lengths of the SAA, that I choose if I only were to have one, it would be the 7 1/2 barrel length. Still have not shot a 10” barrel example though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot that I took a couple of pics at the FFL...
20171222_134107-1024x576.jpg 20171222_134051-1024x576.jpg
I'm guessing than that this must be the original box then. I told them to chuck it. Hopefully its still there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was planning on shooting this one since it was a lot less than my 5 1/2 in 3rd generation.
I don't really seeing the value appreciating with these but I guess as with all Colts... never say never.
Any other pics out there, I would love to see them.
Where they available in other calibers?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I had a 2nd gen Buntline Special but it was not original. Someone took a 2nd gen 357 and made it into a 45 colt Buntline. DSCN0608.JPG I in turn had a 5 1/2" barrel put on it that I bought here from a fellow member. DSCN0619.JPG I didn't care for that 12" barrel, it just didn't feel right. I do have a factory letter that came with it that says it started out as a 357 back in 1966. Enjoy your buntline and if mine was original I would have left it that way.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
In the 3rd generation buntlines, it appears the 45 colt were common in blue/cc. One observes nickel buntlines in 44 special. With the Ned Buntline NF nickel 45 of which supposedly 3000 were made, it took 20 years for these to finally surpass the 1980 retail price of $895.
My first buntline was a new in the box blued 45 bought in 1989 for $500 at a Sioux Falls, SD gun show. I had 500 to spend and wanted another SAA. That was the only one I could negotiate to the 500 dollar mark. For 5 years I kept it new in the box and maybe got about $800 for it in exchange for other colts. After I sold it, I really wished I had shot it. This was to be solved by finding another 15 years later and soon after I bought that Ned Buntline for $900 which I couldn’t pass up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
These Buntlines are near and dear to my heart. I was 12 in 1957 when the tv series Wyatt Earp hit the screen, and it was my favorite show. My dad had given me an older Winchester 30-30 when I was 10, so I was shooting early in life.

Well, when Colt came out with their 2nd generation Buntline in '57 I had to have one. Since my dad had a fair size collection (and a few contacts locally), when the first Buntline hit our area he bought it for me. When we picked it up the gun shop owner said that it needed these special grips which he installed on-the-spot, rather than the Colt supplied ones (which he kept). They were white when new, but have 'yellowed' over the past 60 years. I just loved shooting that thing, and still have it to this day. The last time it was fired would have been in '68 while I was on active duty with the Navy in Long Beach, CA. Would I change the barrel length or even sell it -- NOPE!

It came in the black box with the waxy paper you see in the picture.Colt came out with a .22 cal. version a number of years later, but that would never have worked for me.

Colt Buntline Special 035.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would definitely letter a "Pre War" numbered Colt SAA hoped to be an original "Buntline". I've seen many a post war 12" barrel cut down to a useable length, doing so myself. Just my usual worthless opinion.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have 3 Buntlines one of them is an old Great Western it came w/2 cyl's 45 colt & 45 acp both the cyls are stamped w/the colt logo,when Bill Wilson started the GW company he had bought a bunch of parts from colt to use,some of the early Sheriff's mdl's had colt hammers in them from the factory.The 2nd one I built from parts I had here,I used an Italian BP frame w/a brass bck strp & trgr strp the rest was colt parts w/a 3rd gen re-threaded bbl in .44 spcl. & 1 pce mesquite grips,the 3rd one is a 1909 colt & also has a re-threaded 3rd gen .44 spcl bbl in it & 1 pce claro walnut grips.Sorry I don't know how to do photos,but if my daughter shows up from Ca. thurs maybe she can take some.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
On eGun in Germany, a similar site like gunbroker, I saw a 3rd generation Buntline in .44-40 with bright nickel finish and wooden grips. Unfortunately it was sold far above my budget. I only have a Buntline Scout in .22 :(

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Thanks for posting them,I had forgotten that u had them,the picture of my girls shooting the 3 buntlines is the last one taken of my oldest daughter,the tall one is my youngest,the short one in the middle was dying from cancer @ the time,the other short one on the far side is my grand daughter.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have one but didn't like the 12" barrel so I changed it to a 7.5" and shoot it regularly. If it was 10" I think I would have left it be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts