Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you shoot a 12' barrelled Colt? I occasionally see a Buntline for sale and often wonder how they handle. Does the extra barrel length add to much weight or does it do anything to the sight picture? If I were younger I would jusify buying one as a sidearm for deer hunting but can't really pull that one off as I haven't been in the woods in a long time. Thanks for any insites.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back in the 1980s I acquired a Buntline barrel from Dixie Gun Works and had it put on one of my Colts. When I started winning Cowboy matches with it, Buntlines started cropping up all over the place. The balance was good and the additional sight radius didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replies.
I saw one with a number on the bottom of the barrel near the frame but it did not match the guns serial number. It made me wonder if the barrel was added later?

Jim, I guess the welder is still away on vacation. Lucky man but the wait is killing me..

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Here is one i shoot and i do not find it heavy at all... its fun to shoot and very accurate, i think it would be a good hunter. Of course i added the long barrel and also the 1860 brass longer grip frame and its sooo much better and looks great too. nf buntline.jpeg buntline 2 copy 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have a 2nd gen buntline made in 1965, all original and shoots great. Hits what you point it at...Only thing you can't do is Spin it like Johnny Ringo in Tombstone!..:).…………………………………………….M*

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I saw one with a number on the bottom of the barrel near the frame but it did not match the guns serial number. It made me wonder if the barrel was added later?

Jim, I guess the welder is still away on vacation. Lucky man but the wait is killing me..
No he's not,I'm picking up the hammer Tues. morning.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Does the number under the barrel have a BB in front of it...……………………………………………...M*

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The numbers on the buntline barrel do not match the serial number of the gun. I'm not sure why Colt numbered the barrel's but after a while of doing so they stoped. So you can find Buntline's without a numbered barrel. This one was not an original Buntline so I had it re-barreled with a 5 1/2" barrel. DSCN0619.JPG

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The BB barrels where supposed to be a special project that Colt decided not to do so they put the BB barrels on standard buntlines instead of scraping them...........................................................M*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts