Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any \"Collectors\" not like buying NIB?

OK, I might be weird about this but I don't like buying NIB guns as collector’s pieces. Don't get me wrong, I like them in the box with papers etc. However, I like shooting all the ones I collect and if I paid for an NIB gun, I would hate to "ruin" it by firing it for the first time. Not to mention paying extra for the virgin condition. I prefer previously fired, excellent or like-new condition so I don't feel bad about shooting it!! I guess I agree with others that guns are meant to be shot if only once, even collectors pieces. IE: My 4" Nickel Python that I recently bought used (nearly stole for what I paid) in excellent condition and shot 12 rounds through it.

Anyone else feel this way or am I the only nut? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: Any \"Collectors\" not like buying NIB?

I depends on so many things for me.

I will or not buy Nib for collectors pieces for several reasons.

Not NIB: type or age of gun makes a NIB super rare and expensive.

Not NIB: Gun is pristine, I mean pristine.

Not NIB: Model with some wear that I have always wanted.

NIB: Likely hood of gun having massive wear without box is eliminated. ie wear on some of the alloy framed cobras or agents, scratches on satin nickel 70 series .45 or.

NIB: Likely hood of gun being worked on or modified by unknown people of undetermined experience is eliminated.

NIB: I like the idea of the complete package. Sure the gun goes bang, but the papers and boxes add some character and value IMO.

Some I will shoot, some I wont. Either way only one or two stainless will ever see a holster for hunting.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

I buy the best quality that I can afford. Also, you have to find them first and I am not much for ordering things over the internet that I can' look closely at and fondle a bit prior to making a decision.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

You like a lot of us are more of an acculmulator than a collector. A true collector's piece is only looked at and possibly fondled, but never fired.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I hear you. I have both NIB's and Colts that are in excellent condition, but can still be fired. One of my favorites is a 1913 model 1911 that was rebuilt by Augusta Arsenal prior to WWII (reparkerized with the "AA" stamp). It has seen two wars, is one of the lower priced military 1911/1911A1's you can buy, and it functions great. Plus, WWII reworks seem to be rising in value as the price of pristine 1911 and 1911A1's go up. This one can be used a little and still be appreciated for the history it holds.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I purchase the rare and unusual revolvers. If it comes with a box then that's a premium. Out of 19 collectable revolvers I have only one that's boxed (.22 bankers special) I will never pass up a collectable just because it does not come with the box. BTW: I purchaes 1965 and older guns. Not my boxes left on those older models. I feel that 100% value must include the box. Otherwise it's 98% or less.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

To me, the condition rating of 100% indicates that it is in the same condition it left the factory or in other words "unfired and un-turned" in the case of a revolver. Of course, Colt does test fire their guns at the factory.

NIB (New in the box) indicates that it is a 100% gun with the original factory box and paper work. Others may disagree with me on this point. The term "as new" is also used for a new looking firearm that has been fired or ANIB when there is an original box.

I would never pass up a handgun in good condition that I wanted just because there was no box. I buy guns and not boxes. Boxes have been discussed before, but they add a premium to a collectable handgun. Frankly though, although I have never done this, you are probably better off selling the box separately as with the current box market. You would be hard pressed to get an extra 10-15% just because the box comes with the gun on most guns. Same reasoning could apply to factory stocks. To me it borders on hersey to sell the "parts" off separately such as is done with cars in junk yards.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

The ancient rule of thumb for a true collector is to buy the best possible specimen. "Best possible specimen" may not always be NIB for a variety of reasons, ranging from the depth of the individuals pocketbook, to NIB specimens simply not being avalable in some categories. Take a look at the prices and the desirability of Colt SAA's that are in conditions considerably less than NIB. As the increasing number of collectors create demand increases for a product that has a fixed supply quantity, newer collectors are forced to accept the lesser grade guns because of price and/or availability. Buying collector grade guns to shoot is something I have been guilty of, in a few isolated cases, but it's a practice that would give some collectors I know a stomach ulcer..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts