Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at an officers target in 38 special at a local shop. sorry that i cant get the serial number, but it is a 6 inch barreled, nicely checkered target grips, and in really nice shape. when did they make them? is it worh $450. thanks, i am new to colt revolvers...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The OMTs were made from 1904 thru 1949. Depending on which issue it is (1st, 2nd, or 3rd determined by the DOB) and condition I have seen them go go for as high as $1500 (now that example looked like it just came from the factory and was a 1st issue). I see them usually around $500 to $800. Of course location and availablity can tilt the price scale.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have quite a few OMT's (and more than one OMM). Most of the OMT's one encounters are 3d issue, with the last patent date 1926. There were two 6-inch barrel versions, regular weight and heavy barrel. Some will try to tell you that the heavy barrels are scarce, but they are not.

Condition is everything in my opinion with these fine old guns. If the one you are looking at is in really good shape, then it's a good buy at $450. My most recent purchase was a minty 2d issue (1921; I paid (did some trading, actually)$600. For a 3d issue, I'd be very reluctant to go much above that $450. And Majic is right, a good 1st issue can hit $1500 (these are very hard to find in good condition).

Best,
Bill A

·
Registered
153 Posts
For more info on OMT's or any Colt Pre War Target revolvers check out the group dedicated to them at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1

Has a lot of pictures and serial numbers of them plus how to ID the different issues with pictures.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill A:
I have quite a few OMT's (and more than one OMM). Most of the OMT's one encounters are 3d issue, with the last patent date 1926. There were two 6-inch barrel versions, regular weight and heavy barrel. Some will try to tell you that the heavy barrels are scarce, but they are not.

Condition is everything in my opinion with these fine old guns. If the one you are looking at is in really good shape, then it's a good buy at $450. My most recent purchase was a minty 2d issue (1921; I paid (did some trading, actually)$600. For a 3d issue, I'd be very reluctant to go much above that $450. And Majic is right, a good 1st issue can hit $1500 (these are very hard to find in good condition).

Best,
Bill A
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts