Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ~ I just picked this Colt Walker up at a local auction yesterday. Can anyone tell me what year it was produced? It has Italian proof marks on the right side. It also has two proof marks on the bottom of the barrel (PN and crossed arms). I looked the proof marks up and the date made no sense (XVIII = 1962).

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
why do you think that the date makes no sence? The Italian proof marks are for Black Powder (PN) and the Gardone Proof House and it is proofed in 1962. It is unusual that the Walker has the Colt barrel address, which leads me to think that it is made by Army San Marco.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know much about the series and it didn't occur to me these were reproduced in 1962.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't Armi Sam Marco label their guns ? The ones I have seen have the Armi San Marco where the Colt patent would be on the left side of the receiver.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
don't forget, that gun is from 1962, I don't know if ASM marked their early replicas accordingly but I know that they where in big trouble with Colt because of the use of the barrel address. Are there any other markings on that gun?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here's a question. Since original Walker's cylinders were not blued, would it be correct to removed the blue on this cylinder? Any downsides?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it is a "normal" ASM, the barrel should be marked either A S M. or S M. on the lower right side. It might also have a stylized ASM in an equilateral triangle either on the frame or on the underside of the barrel hidden by the load lever.

Having said that, since date code is XVIII/1962, ASM was in its infancy as a manufacturer and did not usually contain those markings. Are there any importer markings (Navy Arms, Replica Arms, other logos, etc.) anywhere on the revolver?

JIm

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No marks other than the proof marks i posted and two proof marks under the loading lever. Nothing stating ASM anywhere

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am at a loss. It is not a kit gun as it would not have proof marks and the date code. I also find it somewhat strange that the cylinder is marked "USMR" (US Mounted Rifles, normally found on Dragoon revolvers) with that peculiar (to me) rollmark design. The only other manufacturers I can think of that early in repro manufacturing for a Walker would be Rigarmy (RAG logo) or Armi San Paolo (DGG logo).

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Jim

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am at a loss. It is not a kit gun as it would not have proof marks and the date code. I also find it somewhat strange that the cylinder is marked "USMR" (US Mounted Rifles, normally found on Dragoon revolvers) with that peculiar (to me) rollmark design. The only other manufacturers I can think of that early in repro manufacturing for a Walker would be Rigarmy (RAG logo) or Armi San Paolo (DGG logo).

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Didn't Armi Sam Marco label their guns ? The ones I have seen have the Armi San Marco where the Colt patent would be on the left side of the receiver.
Look at the bottom of the barrel, under the loading lever. If there is no markings there, then this may have been a kit gun. The Italian did not mark kits, so that they could not be held accountable for improper assembly, fit or finish.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bottom of the barrel has two proof stamps, so I am thinking this is an early reproduction per the 1962 date code stamp (XVIII) and what Dallascowboy said...that this might be an early Armi San Marco, prior to them getting in trouble for using the Colt roll mark on the top of the barrel.

·
Registered
986 Posts
In my opinion it's an early Armi San Marco. The architecture of the early ASM Walker's is very distinct. If it has no manufacturers mark I would chalk it up to the early production date. Perhaps it was a kit gun but it looks too nicely finished for it to be a kit to me. Early 1851 Navy repros made in 1958 - '59 by Gregorelli & Uberti had no proofmarks even though they were supposed to have them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts