Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at reviews and feedback on the 3" King Cobras and read that several people had issues. Malfunctions, ejector rod issues, alignment, etc. Read a few horror stories about some people sending back multiple times to Colt for RMA.

Has anyone purchased a 3" KC within the last 12 - 18 months? Any issues, or complaints? Were there just some lemons out there when they started making wheel guns again or should one stay away from that model?

Thank you

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 3” King Cobra and a 4.25” king Cobra. Aside from the ejector rod sticking in the crane I’ve had no issues. Both of them got stuck but a little elbow grease and sand paper and they both work flawlessly now.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I have both 3" and 4 1/4" and have had no issues with either. I did swap the front sights with tritium blades and the supplied stocks with Colt/Pahmayrs. Both were done for personal preference...mechanically both are fine.

Reactions: JOG

·
Registered
724 Posts
My shop has a new 3-inch Cobra in stock. I like it, but I'm holding out for something older.
I'm not trying to start a debate on mim parts but, the trigger and hammer are mim.
I want all steel old school stuff!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm an old gun kind of guy, but I will say the new guns are better than the old ones. And were I in the market for a .357, the King Cobra would have my undivided attention. Being smaller than the Python, it's easier to carry, and the action can be tuned to be nearly as good. For a carry piece in the woods, I would probably lop-off the underlug, but even with the underlug, it's a great revolver.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Interesting take Dark Lord! I've been on the fence about buying a brand-new King Cobra.
Truthful I'm worried that it will have issues! I've never had issues with the old Colt's and Smiths.
It would be for carry, so I would need it to work 100% of the time!

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I and others I know have had issues with older Colts and S&Ws...there just wasn't the internet to broadcast such problems to the world back then.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I waited 2 years for a 3" KC to be in stock at a local gun store. I was looking for a Colt to replace my Charter Arms 44Spl backpack/hiking gun that I take out to Wyoming and Montana. Wanted 3" fixed sights for the light weight and hard knocks this gun would take. Bought the KC in July 2021, then in late August I went out west for 6 weeks. During that time I put the KC through its paces. Temperatures ranged from 94 degrees to 20 degrees. Weather from hot and sunny and dusty to rain to freezing rain to snow (of course, the freezing rain then snow occurred during the backpacking part in the Medicine Bow mountains!). I shot full house 357s, very heavy 357 "bear" reloads, factory 38 spls, and reloaded mild loads in 38 Long Colt cases. During the entire 6 weeks I NEVER cleaned the gun, not even the cylinder chambers or the star as I wanted a torture test. I do not have the round count but it was in the hundreds. I wanted to try out a Lyman 310 tong tool and after running out of 38LC loads (so fun to plink with) that I reloaded for it during the truck camping phase up in the Beartooth mountains:
Sky Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Bottle Set tool Wood Gas Musical instrument

The verdict? RAN FLAWLESSLY. Zero issues. Fit and finish is excellent, reliability of cycling, firing, ejecting was 100% without any cleaning, point of impact was very close to point of aim with most ammunition, certainly close enough with the heavy loads (the ones I would most need) and the light plinking 38LC loads (the ones I shoot the most). After a good cleaning at home cylinder gap did not increase from when it was new. The grips fit perfectly and especially during the cold weather shooting allowed a really good grip in the hand. This is a Colt forum and of course I am a Colt guy, but none the less my Charter which has been a constant friend and backpack companion since 1991 (it weighs only 21 ounces!) is now being sold to a friend that wants it. The KC weighs in a bit heavier at 26 ounces but I gain an extra shot, plus at my age the monster backpack trips are unfortunately behind me so the few extra ounces does not matter to me now . If lost or stolen, I would without any reservation immediately buy another. I too heard of horror stories but if you truly are interested go look one over very good at your gun store and ask if you can dryfire it. Check out the cylinder lock up and the crane fit....all the usual tests you can do while at the store. Lemons do get out, but I will tell you mine is a gem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an earlier King Cobra 3-inch, purchased in summer 2019. I'm very happy with it. There were two minor issues which I've seen others anguish over when in reality they're very fast and easy fixes (and I've heard that more recent production has resolved these, but haven't checked firsthand):

- My side plate was very slightly out of alignment, visible only if looking closely. I loosened the screws (see below), pressed up gently with one finger on the bottom of the sideplate while tightening, and the fit was perfect.

- After a few hundred rounds the ejector rod began to stick, as widely reported elsewhere. Three minutes with a very small file took the high spots off the back half of the knurling and it's been flawless ever since.

I also put blue Locktite on the screws right away, as well as on the set screw for the front sight, just in case.

I haven't fired it a lot until recently, it's a little over 600 flawless rounds at the moment, everything from very mild 38 target wadcutter loads to heavy 357 magnum 165gr handloads. Over time it's become one of my favorite revolvers. It will be going on some backcountry hikes in the spring. Perfect size and weight for extended carry on rugged terrain where those things matter, the factory rubber grips fit my hands well (which is rare), it clears speedloaders, as accurate as larger revolvers, and POA = POI with my most common loads.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a new one (got it last Wednsday night). Did a range trip Thursday, and had a few failures to fire, but I suspect ammo issues. I shot 100 rds, 50 new .357 Mag and 50 .38 Spl. reloads, all from the same local manufacturer.

I had 3 failures to fire. Don't recall the primer strike looking light, and all 3 fired on the 2nd try. Probably defective ammo, but I'll be hitting the range again soon with a different make of new ammunition. Won't be carrying it until further experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This thread is getting a little age on it but I purchased 4 new Colt revolvers in the past few months. I bought a new 4” Python late last summer and have had no issues at all. Great gun!

Second I bought a new 3” King Cobra and on the second range trip with under 150 rounds of mild 38’s through it it went seriously out of time. I mean seriously! I contacted Colt and sent it in and about 5 or6 weeks later it came back working perfectly. Now after several hundred more rounds it’s still working perfect.

My third addition was a new 2” Cobra. Several hundred rounds into it now and it’s still working perfect.

Next I bought a new 4.25” King Cobra Target. Great shooting gun and very accurate. It may in fact have the best trigger of all of my new Colts. However my only complaint is the cylinder catches when I go to open it. I believe there’s a high spot on the side plate and the ratchet is very slightly catching on it. After several hundred rounds it’s freeing up considerably. I believe I know where the issue is and may remove the side plate and use a ceramic stone to clean it up a little. It’s nothing serious enough to send back to Colt.

One other minor issue, there’s a sharp edge and corner on the crane that I’ll smooth out too. It’s sharp enough that I cut my hand when opening the cylinder. These are not huge issues in my book and are something easily addressed. They certainly don’t rise to the level of being unhappy.

I’ve always been a Smith revolver man with the exception of a few Ruger single actions and a 6” Python I bought in the early 80’s. I must say now that I believe Colt has some serious winners here and prefer them over any of Smiths current offerings and I would say they’re on par with my vintage Smiths.

Great job Colt!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 3" KC that was made and bought new by me new in 2020. I only have a couple of hundred rds. through it but so far its been flawless.

Keep in mind, people who've had problems will also squawk much louder then those who haven't (especially on the Internet) which might give the impression that these models have a lot of issues but from what I've seen, heard and read, it seems to me like the majority of these models have been flawless.

My only complaint has been with grip options. I'm not a fan of the factory grips because I have large hands and prefer a full 3 finger grip and there isn't as many options available for this model and tracking down a grip pin in order to run older "D Frame" grips is a royal PITA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts