Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see these from time to time but they never seem to be in the best condition as many were hauled back and forth to the range quite often. Only produced from 1949 to 1952, they can be easily identified by the their extra heavy duty, untapered "Bull Barrel". I recently saw this listed for sale, complete with the original box and decided to add it to the collection. This one was produced in 1950. I also picked up a 1960 produced 6" Woodsman Match Target complete with original box and test target from the same seller. I'll post pics of that one in the SemiAuto Pistols Forum.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Extra nice.
Those are in fairly limited number. Not necessarily scarce or rare, but few enough to make the search more of a challenge. And have your billfold with you.....
There are a few more .38 specials of it. And a fat wad of $ is usually needed for those as well.....
I have an un-fired, un-turned .38 OMS that is just too nice to shoot. I'd like it a lot more if it had the original packaging with it. (I added the wood, but I have the OE Colt plastic ones)

Well, lookit that....those images loaded just fine.......

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your OMS is just beautiful! congrats...I have one from 1950 in .38 just a shooter,but a blast to shoot

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Mine is slightly older than yours and a little worse for wear but in pretty good shape for its age. I shoot it pretty regularly and find it to be quite accurate and fun. I suppose this will be the last addition to my birth year collection of Colts made in 1952 as there were only about 1000 of them made that year so hopefully one will show up in the next year or so.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I like the prewar slim lines better, but If they're accurate (and I'm sure they are), they're good!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice one. I have one in 22 and 38 and find them well made and highly accurate. Their almost like PPC revolvers lite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beautiful. My understanding is that they shoot great too. I have a OMT and a OMM in 22. I have not found my OMS in 22 yet. But I will someday. To me the OMT and OMM are "prettier" but I love the pure functional lines of the OMS. One look and there is no doubt what it was made for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are wonderfully finished, and the actions perfect. I have two pre-war .22's, one with the recessed cylinder, and one with a regular 22 cylinder where the rimfire portions of the ammunition are not hidden. I also have a 38, with the standard 6 inch. I always wanted one in 22 magnum, and there are a few, lurking out there, in 32. The ones in 32 were for target shooting where your needed the lower recoil. An old friend of mine used to load his 32's down to where they were able to cut the target perfectly. Barrels were also made in 7 1/2 inch lengths. My favorite sight configuration are those made in the years just before WW2, for my old eyes, they beat many modern models. The notch and post match up with just a tad of light around the post. Same as in woodmen of the same period.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Before I bought my OMT and OMM, I used to see Officers Model Specials for sale and passed on them because I thought they seemed kind of odd looking. I didn't realize that they were made in somewhat limited numbers and for a short window. Now that I appreciate them, I don't seem to see them offered for sale at gun shows or gun shops any more. Same with the Model 3-5-7.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts