Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had an interest in these . Shot this one about 20 yrs ago . Flawless 7 rds of Win 185gr swc match .

Mitch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I always wanted to get one but the few times I seen them for sale I didn't have the cash. I hear they are much more fragile than the 1911 but if I owned one I would just have to shoot it (I don't own any gun I won't shoot).......

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
I too am a fan of the M1905. I have shot mine a little with very light loads. I keep the bullet weight to 200 grains or under to lessen the slide velocity.

The problem with any of the parallelogram linkage old Colts is that the cross piece at the front of the slide is all that keeps the slide from coming off to the rear and hitting you in the mouth. Too hot of loads, or fatague from use, can cause the stop to break, which will allow the slide to continue rearward to hit you in the face.

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't recall being "bitten" . Just having a grin on my face . I was using factory target 185 gr so recoil was mild .

Mitch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just thought I would ask, that hammer on the 1905 looks mean! I have handled a few at gun shows but I have never shot one. I would like to get one but everytime I have some extra money I find another pre 70 series gov model that I need....

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
45automaticman, why do you grip the pistol so high that hammer bite becomes a problem? If you hold the pistol normally, you will not get "bit." You really ought to skip a couple of later pistols and get a M1905. You will really appreciate handling the heritage of the pistols that follow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a problem with hammer bite, never did. Just asking a question, I thought that if any gun might bite you it would be the 1905. As far as owning a 1905 I might some day but it is not really high on my priority list...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts