Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a new "gun-list" magazine the other day and saw an add with several old colts for sale, they had some "NEW SERVICE REVOVERS" for offer. One caught my eye the add said it was one of only 12 made it was a "SHOOTING MASTER" in 45 long colt. I know that Colt made very few of the "SHOOTING MASTERS", but come on, only 12??? If that is true then it makes the one a friend of mine has even more interesting? The "SHOOTING MASTER" he owns was given to him by his uncle years ago before the uncle passed away. Not too interesting on that part of the story. The intersting part is how the uncle aquired the revolver. He took it off a 17 yeear old German soldier near then end of WWII. I can only assume that German soldier liberated it from a officer or a aviator. I still think Colt must have made more than 12 of these revolvers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
Shooting-master use the same frame as as the New-service, and share as well their serials numbers, SM has been made from 1932 to 1943. It's a very fine target colt gun,It's was call by Colt " a deluxe production " made at about 3,500 pieces, and they was made with 6" only.they was made with slim butts, only the end production got square butt! Calibers was .38spl, 38-44 S&W,44spl,.45colt, .45acp and .357 mag after 1935. Their serial numbers run from 333,000 and 350,000.From M. Huber of Colt...he states when the shooting Master was produced, it costs more than two weeks' salary, $52.50 in 1934, it was difficult to justify this kind of money versus it's competitors! to keep making them any longer! the gun was hand honed and checkering by hand as well! I own one in .38spl at 98% overall mine has the SN 340... and from the Colt History letter was made in 1936, you have to ask them to know when yours was made, 'cause as I said their SN are share with New-Services so impossible to found into the SN tables.
Hope this few words give you some help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mcp: Thanks for the feedback. I wish I owned that old Colt, but that friend of mine wont part with it. I would have to rate it at about 90%, a little muzzle wear at the tip. I made him a offer and he said he isn`t seeling it, I guess one of his nephews will end up with it, because he has no children to pass it on to.

[This message has been edited by DIAMONDHUNTER (edited 04-15-2001).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes it is, but I've done about all I can to breathe some life into it........ I'm up to 199 posts and if everyone else did the same, it'd be hoppin'!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts