Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone give any information about this Colt Armory Print, Hartford, Conn
I am trying to date it and find out any other information. I have searched and searched and cannot find another one. It is obviously made from cloth
Anyone have any info on this

I posted it here because it is about percussion cap weapons, sorry if it is in the wrong place, new here...

It is 11 x 18 inches, I personally know it is over 40 years old but that's about it

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
I may be wrong, but it looks like the print is on cloth. If so, then it is a replica of a very rare cleaning cloth issued with their new civilian model guns during the 1860's. This cleaning cloth became rare because people actually used it to clean their guns and then threw it away after it was used.
It was replicated by a New York or New England gun collectors club sometime between 1950 & 1980.
If this is on paper, I'm sorry, I can't help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is made from cloth, thanks for chiming in.

It says it was printed at Colt Armory, Hartford, Conn

Very cool, I will research some more now. You have offered a new direction, thanks again

·
Registered
552 Posts
The originals were printed on a letter press, that, is on an old fashioned printing press. The modern replicas were done with a modern photographic sillk screen process.
The original was printed on linen on both sides of the cloth. The replicas were printed mostly on cotton and are printed on one side only. The reference for much of this info is : pg.169, illustration D, in "The Book of Colt Fire Arms" 2nd Edition, by R.L. Wilson. I can personally vouch for the make-up of the replica cloth because I own one. The originals are extremely rare, but the replicas are only scarce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.