Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to case some of my sets. I will need a couple of double and several of the single presentation cases.

I have found two who do them:

Bill's Cases (Bill Shumate)
Brookfield, Inc (Les Yodel)

Both seem good. Any recommendation?

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
@gunner5
I was looking though the latest Dixie Gun Works catalog yesterday and saw a few cases listed.
I'm not sure if they are listed on their website. You may have to order a catalog.
Best regards, Bill

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I would like to case some of my sets. I will need a couple of double and several of the single presentation cases.

I have found two who do them:

Bill's Cases (Bill Shumate)
Brookfield, Inc (Les Yodel)

Both seem good. Any recommendation?

Rob
Les Yoder (not Yodel) lives near me. Small but neat wood shop. He makes the cases for the Colt SAAs auctioned at the yearly CCA show.
Highly recommended!

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you have an antique gun, i.e. pre-1898, then your best bet is to go with Bill's Cases. He makes outstanding replicas of original period cases.
However if you have a modern gun or Colt re-make of a percussion pistol, go with Les Yoder. He is Colt's subcontracter for gun cases. So, if it is a modern Colt you are casing, then with Les you can call your gun assembly "Factory Cased".Dixie Gunworks cases are less expensive than the above, but they can't compare with the above. I like most of the stuff Dixie sells, but Cheap looks Cheap!

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I would recommend Les Yoder at Brookfield Case. I have two of his cases and they are very nice. As Rick mentioned above, Les makes the annual auction gun cases for the CCA and some of them are truly exquisite.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it! YODER

Received an e-mail from him about a month, or two ago, and he only signed it "Les." When I opened this thread, for the life of me, I couldn't remember his last name (though I had heard it before) and took a stab at it. I was in a hurry and wanted your comments. Thanks for the correction, people's names should be spelled correctly.

Steg, I agree. Your write-up is clear. I have talked to Bill and somewhat came to the same conclusion. Both nice guys, though.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most of my antique percussion Colts reside in Bill's cases. They are a high quality. I've bought a few from Dixie for some lower condition guns and I like them pretty good too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have been looking to do this for a while as well, is there a general price range to expect?
The price of any pistol case from any supplier depends on what wood it is made of, what size pistol it is for, and whether its interior is English fit or French fit. A single gun, Colt Walnut Factory case can be had for about $185.00, and a two gun custom Rosewood French fit case can go for up to $800.00 or better. There is a big difference between these cases and el-cheepo's from DGWs.
Why don't you contact Bill's Cases and Brookfield cases on the internet? Then you can find out exactly how much a good case will cost you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I have this elaborate plan for 2 Single actions down the road with the works (in my eyes the works anyway), 5 1/2 bbls, special serial numbers, engraving, ivories and nickel. They will most definitely need to be cased, but to be honest by the time I get that kind of work done, chances are another 5-800 will be like "yep.....that'll work". It would be fitting for those at least. The guns I would case now I wouldn't want to go the high dollar road with as they are....well....clones. I may in fact call them up though and see whats up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot of good comments and suggestions. I have decided to make 4 of the cases, myself. I have some oak laying around and a little bit of skill in woodworking. The toughest part will be in the lining of the cases and making the compartments (English fit). Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's see how that will work out.

In the meantime, I have also ordered 4 different cases from Les Yoder. These will be French fit. I don't think I have the skill to do those.

I have a Paterson (3rd generation) for which I will have Bill Shumate make a case for.

The plan is coming together.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have several of Bill's cases and have found him easy to work with. However, if an accurate recreation of a Colt case is required you will have to locate an experienced case maker with access to the proper woods. The mahognay and rosewood used in original cases is almost impossible to locate and thus more expensive. Rosewood is the most difficult to located and much more expensive.

I have a couple cases made from "antique, 100 year old" mahognay, resurrected from old furniture, doors, etc. Send me an e-mail if you're interested in a correct Colt case for a 51 Navy/60 Army. I have a source that is building a couple cases for me now that will be very accurate once complete. Expect double the price of a case from Bill's Case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.