Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the Colt forum but I also know many of the members are well versed on other guns as well. I am seeking information on this early 44 DA 1st model. This is my buddy's gun. His father bought it a long time ago. He does have the correct grips for it. His Dad put on the fancy ones.

1st question, since it's two tone are the top release, trigger guard supposed to be blue? The hammer & trigger are case colored.
2nd question, whats the deal with the set screw on the grip frame? Is it there to adjust the trigger pull? If so what the correct way to do that?
3rd and most important question for now, He has a box of 44 Russian ammo for it. I told him in no way shoot that ammo. Since this gun was made in the 1880s it was a black powder gun. I would like to dump the powder and use smokeless but need data to do it safely. Any idea of a safe load? Originally it looks like they were loaded with 23 grns of powder. I found a post that stated "Phil Sharpe's 1937 reloading handbook for the .44 Russian recommends 3.0 grains of Bullseye for the 205-grain bullet, and 5.5 grains of Bullseye for the 246-grain bullet." That seams a bit hot to me. What do you think?
Thanks
Tool Wood Everyday carry Trigger Household hardware

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
It looks mighty fine from the 1 pic.
The finishes are as they should and as you describe.
#2 is a mainspring tensioning screw. I have never screwed with one but the mechanics are obvious when you remove the grips
I have fired an older one with cowboy loads no problem. Make sure yours in in excellent mechanical condition before firing

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
If that is the original nickel then that is a mighty nice gun. You can find 32s and 38s looking like that but the 44s saw much harder use and often show it. Very nice gun! As said above all looks and sounds as it should be. If it is 44 Russian then cut down some 44 special or magnum and adjust for the thicker stronger cases. 44 Russian brass is getting old by now and a bit iffy.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have lots of 44 mag & some special brass so cutting some down is no problem. I truly am concerned with the pressure using smokeless powder thats the main reason I did this post. Safety first and I don't want any failures. I'm sure we will only fire what ever I load for it and then it will become a safe queen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts