Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand these are something like the "Ransom Rest" for steady sighting in of the pistol. I have an opportunity to pick one up for $125.00 total. It includes:

The rest, associated parts and the instructions as well as 3 original Lee adapters:

1) Smith & Wesson N frame
2) Smith & Wesson .22 auto 41 & 46.
3) Colt 45 auto and other similar models

I'm wondering if this is something I shouldn't pass up, or if someone on the forum here might be interested in.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have a Ransom machine rest and one of the old Lee rests, and they are nothing alike. The Ransom is a much heavier, spring tensioned, precision built piece of equipment and with the optional windage base, has a precise windage adjustment. The Lee is about half the size and is merely two pieces of metal with screw adjustments that cause the movable half attached to the gun, to lay(loose..not attached) into the base the same way each time...theoretically.
These were not made by the same "Lee" company that currently makes the cheap reloading equipment, but another Lee company that's now defunct. I believe the Lee rests were made back in the late 60's/early 70's and the flyer with mine indicates full retail price at $26.00. The list of grip adapters is very limited and includes only the Colt E and J frames, 1911, and the Woodsman. The Ruger list is limited to the Blackhawk and the Security six. They only list K & N for S&W, and a couple of high Standards. They claim the adapters to be sort of "universal" and that they will work with other models, but I never bothered to confirm that claim. I picked mine up at the Louisville show about 3 years ago with three grip adapters for 20 bucks in new condition. Used it once. Didn't like it, but kept it as a novelty. Unless these are a sleeper collectors item, I would hesitate to invest $125.00 in one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a High Standard 106 Trophy I'd like to fit on a good sighting machine, and a friend in WV who has the Ransom Rest and has invited me to use it. I searched the internet, but couldn't find much on this Lee machine. Your comments are much appreciated. Pretty obvious the Lee is way outdated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not me. I have a Ransom rest, and rather doubt there is ANYTHING that can compare with it, much less with the name Lee on it. Just the way it is. Many are put off by the cost?? Ok, but these are the same folks that calim you cannot find anything 'MADE IN THE U.S.A.' anymore. I only wish I had bought one 40 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a ransom rest. I dont have the desireable windage part. Ransom will completly overhaul them for $50. Had mine done last year. Their is a knack to setting them up right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts