Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of Red-Dots, never shot a gun with one on it - wonder how it would be in self-defense situations. Same question on another forum produced a lot of enthusiastic reports for Red-Dots and SD. Just wondered here if any use them? (I do know one thing: expensive !)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
It would seem to me that a red dot scope might be a little bulky for concealed carry.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Crimson Trace and some clones that have come out would be the only option IF I were to do such a thing but I'd think a red dot just doesn't make sense on a CC. If I'm pulling and aiming I don't have time for messin with switches, bells and whistles ;) IMHO

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Do you mean a redt dot scope, if so way too bulky and besides who makes a holster to fit them. Or, do you mean a laser designator, it is usually built into the grip or mounted under the barrel. The grip style work well and do not cause concealment issues. In my opinion the under the barrel mount is too bulky . A third type replace the full length recoil rod, I guess they work but with the beating they take in that position I questeion their ability to hold point of aim.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Crimson Trace and some clones that have come out would be the only option IF I were to do such a thing but I'd think a red dot just doesn't make sense on a CC. If I'm pulling and aiming I don't have time for messin with switches, bells and whistles ;) IMHO
Yeah, in spite of all the enthusiasm for them on that other forum, in street SD - or home also - just getting the gun out of a holster and getting a point-aimed shot off when someone's on top of you is dicey. "Reading" any sight sounds impossible except at 15' or so. I think most SD shootings occur between 2 and 3 yards. That's mighty close, especially if the guy is at full run at you with a knife or some such horror.

Course without ever borrowing someone's gun with a red-dot and trying it, for me it's all based on imgaination for their use.

I think there's a common maximum distance police use for their ability to even draw a gun before the guy running at you at full speed is on top of you - something like 15' because they can move so fast. Whatever the number of feet, officers are supposed to plan another defense since a gun cannot be presented in so short a time-period. Add a scope......... seems really impossible.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean a redt dot scope, if so way too bulky and besides who makes a holster to fit them. Or, do you mean a laser designator, it is usually built into the grip or mounted under the barrel. The grip style work well and do not cause concealment issues. In my opinion the under the barrel mount is too bulky . A third type replace the full length recoil rod, I guess they work but with the beating they take in that position I questeion their ability to hold point of aim.
I mean a red-dot scope, no laser.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't use a red-dot scope on my concealed carry gun and would agree that it would be too bulky (at least today's technology) for use concealed. I do have red-dots (one an Aimpoint, the other an EOTech) on my two carbines that we would "carry" through the house to greet unwelcome guests.

The only red-dot sights that I've seen used on handguns has been on either .22LR pistols or USPSA "race guns". Both of these have been during Steel Challenge matchs. In this case, the .22LR is used from low ready (no holster) and the race gun shooters have the open front holsters that doesn't interfere with the red-dot.

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
The only red-dot scope I have ever seen on a pistol was on Han Solo's Blaster in Star Wars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts