Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
It's R.L. Wilson. Some on this board have a dim view of his work due to the shenanigans he pulled. I have a couple of his books, but not this one.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My wife found one his books. Pretty pictures but his work is no longer trusted. His unexpected death when his disgraced criminal trading got him convicted for his swindling charges kinda ruined his reputation. I'd hate to be a collector dealing with him, and wondering when a shoe drops on anything he had to do with.

Anyone here who got burned by this guy?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hello all, with only 100 of these produced I am curious if anyone else here has one besides me?

Your leather bound edition may be a bit scarce, but standard editions as well as reprints are readily available. And if all one wants is the information inside and doesn't care about the binding, a paperback edition can be found for 10 buxs.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I was actually just recently reading a story about RL Wilson’s underhanded dealings. Apparently he and others in the CT state museum made a bunch of unauthorized deals which resulted in millions of dollars worth of irreplaceable historically significant Colt firearms disappearing from the museum’s collection. Sad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I had no idea about Wilson........now I am sorry I brought this up!!

My main collecting interests are not Colt so I do not follow them nor do I have many of the reference books so forgive me for bringing up such a sore subject.

I posted this book in the FOR SALE section for a friend and he picked it up long before all of the Wilson stuff was ever made public.

Again, my apologies!

Tom

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
No need to apologize. Looks like no one has the leather bound edition.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I found some of his big coffee table books for sale real cheap at book stores and also the flea market. All his shady illegal dealings came later. Regardless of that, these books have great visual value because of the photography. Such extreme close ups of General Patton’s SAA, for example are there to study the engraving. But with the internet such books lose their value because equally fantastic photos of the same guns can usually be found online somewhere.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
For anyone who doesn't know of Wilson's dealings, this is a good read and gives you an idea of his morals, or lack there-of.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
For anyone who doesn't know of Wilson's dealings, this is a good read and gives you an idea of his morals, or lack there-of.

Good link. I’ve seen and read this myself but glad you shared this link for those that don’t know the true R.L. Wilson. Lack of morals at its best. Sad but true.

Reactions: 824tsv

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Wow, I had no idea about Wilson........now I am sorry I brought this up!!

My main collecting interests are not Colt so I do not follow them nor do I have many of the reference books so forgive me for bringing up such a sore subject.

I posted this book in the FOR SALE section for a friend and he picked it up long before all of the Wilson stuff was ever made public.

Again, my apologies!

Tom
No apologies needed. An eye opener for those that didn’t/don’t know the true man. 👍👍

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Many of the guns pictured in “The Peacemakers” by Wilson were/are in the great Earle collection auction now. That’s my favorite Wilson book. But just like Penthouse magazine, I’ve only looked at his books for the pictures. I don’t think I ever read anything in them except the photo captions.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Wyatt Burp:
But just like Penthouse magazine, I’ve only looked at his books for the pictures. I don’t think I ever read anything in them except the photo captions.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Many of the guns pictured in “The Peacemakers” by Wilson were/are in the great Earle collection auction now. That’s my favorite Wilson book. But just like Penthouse magazine, I’ve only looked at his books for the pictures. I don’t think I ever read anything in them except the photo captions.
🤣

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I agree with the above opinions. Although Wilson himself was a shady character with no ethical or moral fiber, the books that he produced were excellent quality with outstanding photography of some truly amazing Colt firearms. I learned a great deal about Colt’s earliest business endeavors from reading the Paterson book co- authored by Phillips. Ironically, I believe Phillips was one of the benefactors of Wilson’s shady deals with the Connecticut history museum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts