·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got this one -

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Starting pistol

Leather Revolver

Footwear Shoe Knife

It is a fairly early one, with the Pressed Steel Stocks, and, the full Round Checked Button on the 'Fire/No-Fire' Arm.

Seems low Mileage, and other than fine 'Freckles' the Blue is still very thorough and little wear to any high edges, but, faded somewhat.

Inside was 'dry' as a proverbial Bone ( I doubt this has been Lubed ever!! Or since leaving the Factory, I mean ) with old rust color film on everything inside, and everything bound up and stuck...did some Oiling, gradual loosening and so on, got the Slide to move a little, then more, got it field stripped, and will do a thorough cleaning and lube sometime soon. Looks little used, but apparently not well cared for at some point.

It has the cutest little Sights on it, front and rear.

Anyone else into there, please Post s'mimages of yours!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, there is ancient Frction Tape on the Grip ( maybe to help hold those Pressed Steel Stocks on ) and because it is hard as a rock, there is no way a Magazine will move the Magazine Release against the Tape Wrap, to install a Magazine.

No Mag was present with the Pistol when I got it.

I hate to do it, but, looks like I will have to remove the old Friction Tape I guess.

Lucky me, turned out I had a nice condition, old, IWB Holster for the Savage which has been laying around for years, and I never knew what it was supposed to fit. Inside the Holster are some faint impression marks, which co-respond perfectly, to the features of the little SAVAGE, so..."Perfect"!

Leather Starting pistol

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd love to have one someday...
Mark

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I had a .32 Savage Auto years ago, and they are certainly neat pistols.
My shooting buddy has one in .32 ACP.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
The friction tape is likely what's holding the grip panels on - someone probably didn't grasp how they attach to the piece, but at least had the good sense to keep them together.

I have several - including your variant - of which mine accompanied a 1907 Colt SAA into Mexico during La Revolucion with its American owner, who rode with Villa's Brigada del Norte, before returning to the States to enlist in the AEF.

As to a replacement magazine - you'll want an original, so be patient.

The replacements - if older ones - can work well enough, but the originals are more sturdily built.

Incidentally - they're unmarked.

They hold ten rounds, and fire from a locked breech - making it more powerful than the little Colts and Harrington and Richardsons and Warners of the day - and there are no screws.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not really into them, but do have one Savage 1917, in 380, that was so near perfect and so low priced, I could not resist bringing it home. Very nice little guns.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My dad had one that I wish I had not needed to sell. I find them strikingly handsome. Definitely different in appearance to other .32 sized automatics. They are superbly fit and finished. Your's will be neat to see cleaned up, lubed, and with a proper magazine.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are very advanced for their time, and very well made, indeed!

I like their look, and it fits my Hand nicely.

It is an interesting and robust design, quite sophisticated really, with no "Screws' anywhere! ( as dogface6 relays ).

It would have been neat if SAVAGE had enlarged the design a little for using 9mm Luger and another for .38 ACP...and offered those as well.

Anyway I will get it clean inside and lubed up sometime soon, and maybe go try it out.

My Range Membership expired last April and ( eeeesh, time flies! ) I have been procrastinating on re-upping, but, soon as I do, I can have a place to go Shooting again and try out some of the last six months or so new Arrivals/Acquisitions!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was the SAVAGE .32 ACP Pistol the first 'Double Stack' Magazine? Or were there any which had preceded it?

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
The Savage auto ranks with the Merwin Hulbert & S&W Triple Lock in innovation, complex & accurate machining & being better than the public wanted to support in production.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I love American pocket autos. The Savages are an interesting group with a lot of variations. I highly recommend Bailey Browers book Savage Pistols, which is the bible for collectors or anyone interested in Savages. Here are a couple of pocket autos that coincidentally were both manufactured in 1923. I have been looking for a nice Colt M1908 .380 to go with them for years but most that I come across are beaters.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I had access to a model 1917 for quite a while. Very intricately made and locked breech with a turning barrel locking mechanism. Much too complicated for 32 ACP or 380 but the designer (Searle) probably got a kick out of making it complex.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.