Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Fitz special ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as in someone had a fit and hacked these up. Some very imaginative and counterproductive individual got his groove on with a kitchen knife.

and people wonder why nice unmolested guns bring record prices ???

John Fugate

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
You don't think that is a little harsh John? I know you are the expert, but how does modifying something to make it more fitting for them make it counterproductive or a hack job? IIRC the pachmyer grips for d-frames had a siliar profile, maybe this person liked it but wanted a wood version.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
You don't think that is a little harsh John? I know you are the expert, but how does modifying something to make it more fitting for them make it counterproductive or a hack job? IIRC the pachmyer grips for d-frames had a siliar profile, maybe this person liked it but wanted a wood version.
People like all kinds of modifications. Some even think refinishing a low number Python is a good idea. It is an owner's right to modify a gun, but that does not mean the modification should be made if market value is to be maintained. Pointing out that fact does not seem "harsh" to me.

Fortunately, an unmodified set of proper stocks will undo this modification, unlike more "permanent" modifications.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Judge,
At the time these grips were modified I hardly think there was a thought given to D-Backs being as valuable and collectible as they are now. My point isn't that the modification may have lowered value of the piece it is in the callous nature and basic trashing of another person for modifying it to make it more practical for his/her use. I hardly see any signs that this was done by carving with a knife in a kitchen by a hack. It looks well done and useful regardless of the outcome some 30+ years later of "lowering collector value".

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
If one wants to modify their firearm I say more power to em, it's their gun, nobody else's. That said, stocks have been modified since the beginning of firearms to suit the owner's fit, finish and function. Had it been done to an extra set and the originals kept, that's forward thinking, just like sights if one were to keep the factory ones but changed them out for something more efficient for their use.

I modify the recoil assembly on my 1911's but I keep the factory parts so converting it back is not an issue and nobody, save me, would ever know. Of course I think keeping a NIB firearm in a dark safe is a shame as it defeats the purpose of the gun, to shoot/function/provide defense etc. Some folks deal in NIB firearms but once they sell it, the new owner can use it as a hammer and that's on the present owner and not the guy that sold him the firearm. The seller made his profit, the buyer made himself happy. We are all different and thank the good Lord for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If one wants to modify their firearm I say more power to em, it's their gun, nobody else's. That said, stocks have been modified since the beginning of firearms to suit the owner's fit, finish and function. Had it been done to an extra set and the originals kept, that's forward thinking, just like sights if one were to keep the factory ones but changed them out for something more efficient for their use.
It's true that once someone owns a firearm it is theirs to do with as they wish. However, when I am browsing various forums and come across a classified ad entitled something like "Custom Colt", I usually get a case of the heebie-jeebies before I even open the thread. It is truly amazing what some people do to "customize" their firearms. And, in most cases, it is not something which improves the gun, be it a Colt or any other brand. More often than not, they succeed in de-valuing the gun with their efforts, quite often drastically so.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think anyone questions an owners right to modify there property. We all just hate it when they have NO forward thinking and ruin it. Stupid DL or SS#'s scratched on the frame really makes me sick.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I dont think anyone questions an owners right to modify there property. We all just hate it when they have NO forward thinking and ruin it. Stupid DL or SS#'s scratched on the frame really makes me sick.
Exactly, I never questioned the owners right to hack up his grips. I personally hate to see good guns lose their originality even if they do belong to me. Anybody can modify, change, ruin anything they want to its theirs to do so.

John

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am not an expert. When you cut a groove in the bottom on a pair of original Diamondback grips I see it as being counterproductive. I better wait and see what this gun brings on the auction before I stick my foot in my mouth. His modification may indeed help the hammer price,, we will see. :cool:

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts