Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking hard about getting a new Python and sending to Hefron for a bullseye action job. I've not got one in hand get but not loving the SS finish of the new ones. Wish they would have gone either brushed or high gloss. Not sure I wanna get it mirror polished though, kind of like it might might be a bitch to keep clean.

Anyone polished theirs with Mothers polish by hand? Would love to see pics.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Polishes by their nature have abrasives. Tread very carefully if you go that route.

Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
There was another forum member (recent post) that hand polished stainless a King Cobra.
He didn't like that it fingerprinted like crazy when handled. The polishing job wasn't bad but
let's just say that I wouldn't go that route based on his experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even the regular finish new Pythons tend to print up. I feel that Colt picked a good compromise between “pretty” and “practical”. I’m impressed by the durability of the finish on my first new Python, even after a few thousand draws from (good quality) leather and 1100 rounds, it is completely indistinguishable from the second one I picked up this week.
Revolver Air gun Blue Trigger Yellow

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I'm just gonna have to buy one and see what I think of the finish in person with decent light. The photo above looks good but seen some pics that look blah. Saw one briefly at a gun show before I was even thinking of one and looked blah but was in crappy gun show lighting. Same gun outside on a nice day cleaned up nice may look great.

Sure wish they had a royal blue, its like they're too dumb to know what customers want. Sure it would be a labor intensive process, do it well and put a price on it and let the market decide. My guess is they would sell like crazy. Put a Manurhin blue on a new colt with a Hefron trigger and you might just have the best revolver made today. I'd like one in royal blue and one mirror stainless. Not for you guys that holster and take hunting.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Even the regular finish new Pythons tend to print up. I feel that Colt picked a good compromise between “pretty” and “practical”. I’m impressed by the durability of the finish on my first new Python, even after a few thousand draws from (good quality) leather and 1100 rounds, it is completely indistinguishable from the second one I picked up this week. View attachment 759672
That looks awesome! Is the one set of grips darker than the other, or is it just lighting? I have one coming in Friday, really looking forward to it.

Reactions: ColtsDad

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks awesome! Is the one set of grips darker than the other, or is it just lighting? I have one coming in Friday, really looking forward to it.
No, the top set of stocks are reproduction 3rd generation original Python design from Deer Hollow. They are MUCH more grippy than the Altamont stocks on the new Pythons, which is very helpful with the heavy Underwood loads. They’re also a lot better finished than the circa 1982-89 OEM originals.

I’ll have an identical set for the other pistol this weekend. Now just need a left-handed holster… for a NY reload. LOL.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No, the top set of stocks are reproduction 3rd generation original Python design from Deer Hollow. They are MUCH more grippy than the Altamont stocks on the new Pythons, which is very helpful with the heavy Underwood loads. They’re also a lot better finished than the circa 1982-89 OEM originals.

I’ll have an identical set for the other pistol this weekend. Now just need a left-handed holster… for a NY reload. LOL.
Nice. Did you see my post in the deals thread? Galco is having a site wide 25% off Black Friday sale. I ordered a left handed Miami Classic II for mine. Thinking probably a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for OWB, and something from Milt Sparks for IWB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a custom RH Legacy from Simply Rugged arriving in the next few weeks, as well as a Kramer for IWB. I mostly run an off the shelf DeSantis at the moment, which has been surprisingly good.

The Miami Classic is fine for something shorter and lighter like a P30 size autoloader for me, but I find the Python carries better in an old-school Bianchi X15- again for me, body type dependent and highly individual.

Did you get the wider harness with your MC?

All joking aside, I have been doing a lot of support hand work with the Python, and can run it nearly as well left-handed if needed. I’ve been a serious autoloader guy for decades, except for a Smith 686 I’ve had since ‘97, but there is something special about these new Colt wheelies- very enjoyable, and running the DA well has had a big positive impact on everything else I shoot. Also great for skip loading drills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even the regular finish new Pythons tend to print up. I feel that Colt picked a good compromise between “pretty” and “practical”. I’m impressed by the durability of the finish on my first new Python, even after a few thousand draws from (good quality) leather and 1100 rounds, it is completely indistinguishable from the second one I picked up this week. View attachment 759672
Just like Doc Holiday, " one for each of you"!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
A "NY reload" is a second gun as backup.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,989 Posts
"Sure wish they had a royal blue, its like they're too dumb to know what customers want"

Gun makers absolutely do know what customers want, they do extensive marketing studies to find out.
Back in the 1980's the American revolver buyer decided they wanted stainless steel revolvers.
They're happy with Black autos, but blued revolvers are not big sellers now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’ve found it’s harder to find a polisher that is willing to do a standard factory type polish than mirror.

In 2019 I sent a 610-1 to S&W‘s Performance Center for trigger work, chamfering, and a repolish. They did an amazing job. It came back like a 90s era stainless Colt. Whoever did it knew what they were doing. I wish I could send them my 2020 Python, but something tells me that isn’t an option.

It’s hard to photograph, but here it is:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,989 Posts
The term "New York Reload" was coined by famed NYPD Stake Out Squad member Jim Cirrilo.
The squad began staking out stores that were being repeatedly robbed, often by the same person.
When the robber appeared the cops would step out and order him to drop the gun. If he turned around with the gun, the shooting started.
Cirillo discovered that it was faster to drop an empty gun and draw another then it was to attempt a reload.
Cirrilo and others in the unit often carried more then two extra guns for this reason.
It's not certain how many people Cirrilo shot, but I think it was at least 10.

The squad was shut down after charges the unit was violating the civil rights of armed robbers who attempted to shoot cops and store workers.
Armed robbery had been greatly reduced in the city and immediately after the unit was disbanded it again became endemic.

Another expert with the New York reload was watchmaker Lance Thomas.
He was a prime target of robbers in his high end watch shop and after killing a gang member, he was targeted by the gang in a number of robber/murder attempts.
Thomas spotted a number of pistols around his shop and in his shootings he'd drop an empty and grab another to continue fighting.
It got so bad, after killing a number of them he finally had to close up the shop.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I met Jim Cirillo when I attended FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) in Georgia and he was an instructor. He seemed a real nice guy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a custom RH Legacy from Simply Rugged arriving in the next few weeks, as well as a Kramer for IWB. I mostly run an off the shelf DeSantis at the moment, which has been surprisingly good.

The Miami Classic is fine for something shorter and lighter like a P30 size autoloader for me, but I find the Python carries better in an old-school Bianchi X15- again for me, body type dependent and highly individual.

Did you get the wider harness with your MC?

All joking aside, I have been doing a lot of support hand work with the Python, and can run it nearly as well left-handed if needed. I’ve been a serious autoloader guy for decades, except for a Smith 686 I’ve had since ‘97, but there is something special about these new Colt wheelies- very enjoyable, and running the DA well has had a big positive impact on everything else I shoot. Also great for skip loading drills.
The X-15 was really tempting. I haven't owned one though, so stuck with the known quantity. I already have 3 Miami Classics and have used them on and off for decades for 1911s and Glocks. I didn't go for the wider straps, never needed them yet and my 4" Python is almost identical in weight empty to a 5 inch 1911. Time will tell if the additional length ends up being an issue (will probably set it up butt down to a decent degree). Edit: just had another look, I ordered the Miami Classic II, so yes it does have the slightly tapered straps, 1.5 inch at the widest.

I ordered the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake too, and will call Milt Sparks Monday to order something in IWB.

I too have been a semiauto guy for decades (aside from the Single Action Army Colts and clones). Have a few small wheel guns, latest being a Night Cobra that I really like.

My Python came in today, very impressive gun. I agree with the poster above about it being polished enough for me. Someone wants a mirror finish, go for it. But this thing is beautiful as is IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts