Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this(1971)Colt NF in 4 5/8" barrel and Im having a hard time trying to figure out which 22 ammo gives the best groups.Also what kind of groups does this gun get at say 25 yards?Also how often should the gun be cleaned after so many shots or just one shooting session at the range?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I shoot the Federal Value Pack (box of 550) in my vintage New Frontier as well in all of my .22 revolvers/rifles. The price is right and they seem to shoot better for me than does Remington or PMC.

I never have "grouped" mine at 25 yards so can't answer that question.

I wipe the outside down with a silicone cloth or with EEZOX after every shooting session. I clean the barrel, cylinder and other easily to reach gunk after every other (or three) sessions.

Not saying this is the correct protocol, it's just the way I do it.

I luv my little short-barreled New Frontier.

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I love my little colt too.I can actualy feel the trigger turn the hammer slowly and know when its about to break and all this in a smooth light pull.And the grip fits me pretty nice. See if you can test out the groups at 25 yards. Id be curious to see what you get. So far it seems Winchester super X hvpp has given me the tightest at 15 yards of 5 shots under 7/8". At 25 yards the groups widened and its probably me.I also tested each cylinder and it was interesting.Cylinder 5 gave a fairly tight 1 3/8" group but others went up to 4 " groups at 15 yards.Yet the winchester group used all 5 of the 6 cylinder holes.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Ditto the Federal ammo, and just for kicks, try a box of the Gold Medal match. I've had good results with Federal ammo, and another brand that does really well, is the imported Aguila standard velocity 22lr. Not sure, but I think it's made in what was once a Remington factory, in Mexico. It's on a par with much of the match ammo, and a helluva lot cheaper. Give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts