Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, recently I started a thread regarding a mark that's been created on the barrel of my beautful new Colt SAA from the ejector head rubbing against it on its return stroke. I called Colt and they offered to repair the barrel and fix the ejector so it no longer touches the barrel. I got a lot of good advice from everyone and the general consensus was that the ejector touching the barrel is just in the design of a Colt SAA and I shouldn't worry about it.

So this got me to wondering if anyone with a Colt out there DOESN'T have the mark on their gun? Because I don't want to send the gun back just to have them alter the gun in some wierd way to accomodate me. If this is the design, then this is the design. So please chime in if your gun doesn't get marked by the tip of the ejector. I'll include some pictures of what mine looks like. If no one out there has a gun without a mark, then it really must be part of the design and there's no point in sending it back, they'll probably shrink my ejector or something wierd.

And the idea of being without my new Colt for months is almost heart breaking.

Also, I don't let the ejector snap back into position, I guide it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The best way to try and avoid such marks is to ease the ejector back gently when used. That is what I do since I learned of this occurring in my shooter. So It is common and it is going to happen. I have one shooter all marked up and the other doesn't since I am careful in it's use.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Watched an old Roy Rogers movie last night..bad guy never touched ejector rod..opened loading gate & upended muzzle..and proceded to shake gun to get ctgs. out...And all this time we thought those old westerners just considered their guns a tool!

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
5-In-One Blanks used in the movies 'will' shake out - most of those Silver Screen 'cowboys' knew that - but real ammunition is a different story.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
The wrong gun thing is rife. So it is with aviation & airplanes. Probably lawyers have their own blooper list, as do LEOs, Doctors, Taylors and candlestick makers. I have to keep reminding myself that movies are for entertainment rather than fodder for prop analysists..

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've personally never seen a Colt SAA that's been shot that didn't have ejector marks. You have a choice: shooter or safe queen. I shoot mine. IMHO, that's what they're designed for.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shoot the Da... thing and quit worrying about it. I have worked on Colt 26 years and have only seen a few ( safe queens) that did not have the mark. Early SAA's were cut slightly different so the mark was often less seen. If I am restoring a Colt and Engraving it, I will cut the ear so it never touches the barrel again. Q

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am shooting the d*** thing, if I sent it back to Colt what would they do to fix the problem quigg, do you know?

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I have got 2nd Generation and 3rd Generation Colt SAAs and New Frontiers that don't have a mark on the barrel from the ejector rod head. They are all NIB. All the ones I shoot have the mark on the barrel. Life is short and you are dead a long time. Blast away with that SAA and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have two, and never heard or seen what you describe.
Guess I'm fortunate;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you shoot a lot? Because you're the first person that's chimed in in a week that's said they don't have the mark.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mine's got a small mark where it contacts the barrel in the resting position. I can't see how it wouldn't, the way it's designed. But to put it in perspective, I'm one of the pickiest, OCD, detail-obsessive people you've ever met, and I'd never even noticed the mark on mine until I saw this thread and went to look. It hadn't showed up on my radar.

Out of all the things that might be wrong with a SAA for one reason or another, I sure wouldn't send mine back and wait six months or more for that. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have two, and never heard or seen what you describe.
Guess I'm fortunate;)
Must confess, I've probably only fired (maybe) 60 rounds (each 60 through both). My brother has more than that through his, and no mark either. Can't explain why, but I'm not about to complain;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zrexxer you're right, the way it's designed there is NO way it couldn't have a mark, but doesn't that bother you? I mean when a new vaquero knows enough to not have it touching the barrel, but Colt, the KING of the single action revolver doesn't; isn't there something amiss? Especially since we're paying around 1300 for the honor of owning a genuine Colt. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I mean when a new vaquero knows enough to not have it touching the barrel, but Colt, the KING of the single action revolver doesn't; isn't there something amiss?

Colt designed the SAA 140 years ago to be, primarily, a military arm. I doubt if the military cared a whit about such a minor "fault", or Colt envisioning people buying the guns to be safe queens. I'm sure Colt has the smarts to redesign and modify the ejector, but then collectors would complain how it's not authentic!

Maybe I'm just being too picky.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This isn't a safe queen, it's a gun I use, but that doesn't mean I have to live with damage that's not honest wear. And this is Colt's 3rd iteration, this is something they could have easily fixed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Two things need to be done . The mark on the barrel will need to be hidden, that entails either a cold blue to patch it or a strip and reblue of the barrel. The ejector rod needs to be removed and a measured amount removed from the ear to prevent it touching the barrel. Some times the ejector rod housing is cut so deep that ear removal will not fix the problem. This requires a new rod housing.
That's the only way to permanently fix the issue. Q

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Zrexxer you're right, the way it's designed there is NO way it couldn't have a mark, but doesn't that bother you? I mean when a new vaquero knows enough to not have it touching the barrel, but Colt, the KING of the single action revolver doesn't; isn't there something amiss? Especially since we're paying around 1300 for the honor of owning a genuine Colt. Maybe I'm just being too picky.
I tried telling you about this in your other thread. The ejector head contacts the barrel and if you operate the ejector at all you will end up with a mark. If it bothers you as much as it seems to, sell your poorly designed SAA and buy more vaqueros. I'm sorry, but it is getting a little old listening to you complain about this "non-issue". And no it doesn't bother me at all. Honest wear is honest wear and comes with the territory.

Handling/shooting guns=finish loss.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chaffee what the sh**? If you don't want to listen to me don't read my thread. You were one of the people responding that I really appreciated their insight and now you're being a di** to me because I've asked one too many questions? I don't think the gun is poorly designed, I need help trying to figure out what to do, not guys telling me to buy more Vaqueros. I own a lot of single action revolvers and it's taken me a long time to save enough money to buy a genuine Colt and I just want to make sure sending it in to get the gun fixed is a viable option considering the time and money that will be involved; or if it's even a problem that needs fixing in the first place. I'd just like to be as certain as possible, forgive me for taking up too much of your time. Chastising a person for seeking help and insight from their peers is a mean thing to do man, I would never do it to you no matter how many questions you asked me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts