Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of these on the surplus market right now. Anyone have one? I can get into one for $300 shipped. Is this a decent price?
Opinions and user reviews are welcomed !!

Best,
Charles

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just checked AIM Surplus and Classic Firearms and they don't seem to be in stock at either. I don't have one but have been wondering the same. Some good YouTube reviews on them.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
The biggest weakness is the barrel lock block has a tendency to fail, and replacements were pretty much unobtanium up until recently.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have one. Other than the trigger pull is a little hard I like mine. I haven't shot it in a long time but I did put 1K rounds through it the first year I picked it up.,

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I don't have a Beretta Model 1951 but I do have the Egyptian Helwan which is an authorized copy of the Beretta Model 1951. Of all the variations of the Helwan mine is supposed to be the best one to own. Mainly because of the markings such as A.R.E. - Arabic Republic of Egypt among others.

The locking block is suspect like the 1951 Beretta as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have your ammo. I still have a case of 1000 rds of Egyptian 9mm ammo. I shot a lot of that stuff years ago. It's corrosive but I always cleaned my helwan after using it and never had any issues.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Charles - I finally had some time to edit some photos of my Beretta M1951 and the Helwan. Absent any markings about the only way to distinguish a Beretta from a Helwan would be fit and finish. Although the finish on my M1951 is somewhat lacking; machining is a lot smoother.

M1951:

Egyptian Helwan

Helwan/Beretta

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Both the M1951 and the Helwan were/are good, solid service pistols - I saw a lot of them in Southwest Asia - that said, the locking block arrangement is the weak point, so if you can find a spare - by all means, buy it.

For years, you could buy the guns, but spares were never on offer, and apparently there weren't enough out there that could be stripped for parts, so the inventory's on the low side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts