Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to move a 72"x40"x30" 900 lb safe down 10 uncovered wooden steps into my basement. the safe has brackets for a pallet truck on the bottom, so moving it to and from the staircase is not a problem. a few years ago we moved a 500 lb safe down the same stairs. we strapped it to a dolly, tied ropes on the top and slowly let it down step by step. i'm not sure we could do that with a safe 400 lbs heavier. so does anyone have any tips from experience or ideas? we are going down from my garage, not from inside the house, but the layout is not such that a winch on a truck or 4 wheeler would work. the staircase is about 37" wide, but the doorway is only 35". i would appreciate any and all input. thanks.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Since you didn't say the obvious, I'll say it :) On most of these safes the door comes off easily (except, of course, being heavy!).

Since the door is a large percentage of the weight, it would be like moving two smaller safes instead of one big one.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Maybe putting it on its back and sliding it down the steps on some 2 x 4's (or larger) might work. This would distribute the weight more evenly and not all in one spot if it were upright.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Have you considered just leaving it in the garage? I've never moved one down stairs, but know a guy who did and he said it was a bear. One tip I do know is for moving across a cement floor is to put some golfballs underneath it and just push it wherever you need. As you uncover the balls,just put them back in the front. Like old-time folks did using log rollers. Works great.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Although it will cost a little money, I'd suggest at least calling a couple safe moving companies for quotes. They have all sorts of specialized equipment for moving safes, including machines that can move them down and up stairs. It's safer than doing it yourself, and reputable places should be bonded and insured. I only say this because I know a co-worker who was helping a friend do exactly what you are asking. The safe fell on his big toe, completely flattening it and pulverizing the bones inside. I've also heard of stories of people being seriously injured and worse moving safes on their own.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Lowering it via a Car or Truck and a stout Rope tied to it's Bumper of Trailer Hitch, of course is excellent, if you can figure out a way to securely mount a Pulley maybe, for the Rope to pass through since there is no direct shot at it. Finding appropriate old time Pulleys now a days though is not always easy unless one already has them on hand.

If no Pulley is to be found to serve, then the Rope could be merely provided with some Boards or something tacked on to 'corners'so it does not chafe against finished surfaces, to slide against for going around corners or doorjambs and so on...and, be passed winding throuh the House that way.

Most older Wooden Stairs to-a-Basement, if built right to begin with, would handle the weight just fine, as long as the weight was being distributed by the Safe being on it's back on skids/2x4s or similar.

Is there enough room to lay the Safe on it's back or side at the top of the Stairs? So it is pointing downstairs?

But, do inspect the Stairs from their underside, the Stair Jacks or long notched Boards which hold the Treads, so see what they look like...and, if they are 'iffy', ( cracks, knots, spike knots, whatever ) then consider to shore them up using 2x4s from below running vertically, and you can just 'tack' those in so to speak, cut their ends to maatch the angle of the underside of the Jacks, and, Nail them leaving the Nail Head sticking out a little for easier removal later, just so they stay put for the procedure. The 2x4s would have to run from the floor to the underside of the Jacks, straight 'up'.

Long as you can somehow get a stout Rope secured to something, somewhere, even if passing it through a doorwar or through a Room or Hall to tie it to a Car or Truck which shall remain stationary and only serve as an Anchor, the end of the Rope or a Loop of it, could be used to attach a Come-Along or adeaute rated hand Held ratcheting Cable Winch, or a Block and Tackle, for lowering the Safe down the Stairs safely.

Taking the Door off the Safe would save lighten it by a few hundred pounds, as johngross mentions, so, well worth doing..!

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can strap it on an appliance dolly that enables you to go down the stairs, be sure you have adequate restraining straps to slow descent. If it does get loose it will take out a wall at the bottom of the stairs, don't ask me how I know that.
Glen

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Well you give the dimensions of the safe as 40" and the door is only 35" ---- ???? Hows that going fit??
I'd go with the calling some safe movers and getting a quote. The guys that brought my safe in had an electric powered dolly that just sort of walked up and down the stairs. They said they'd put it any where I wanted it - even on the roof ! They did it in minutes and nobody had a hernia or crooked back afterwards. But delivery was included in my purchase price.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you give the dimensions of the safe as 40" and the door is only 35" ---- ???? Hows that going fit??
the safe is only 30" deep, turn it sideways.

i actually hadn't thought about taking the door off, i guess sometimes the obvious is just too obvious. the safe is still in the box so i haven't checked it, but i'll look into that for sure. i definitely want it in the basement, not going to leave it in the garage. i just searched the net for safe movers, but haven't found any within an hour of here, i live in rural kansas. i'll keep checking though. thanks for all the input, keep it coming!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
take it to the landing at the top of the stairs and give it a real big push! :p

ok seriously, i wouldn't want to tackle that job. it seems to me that the weight could be too much for an individual step so a dolly might not work. i'd guess that laying 2x4s or plywood down the length of the stairs, putting the safe on it's side and sliding it down might be your best bet if you don't want to bring pros in to do the job.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Get obama over and have him walk it down from the bottom. Is there any way that you can hook a pully from some structer over the doorframe or whatever and use the winch from your quad or whatever?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Id call my local sporting goods store that sells safes and ask them who delivers their safes and then call them up. Also, I have a friend that bought 2 giant safes at Menards and they delivered them and put them down in his basement so you might call and see who their delivery folks are if there is a store near you. If you strike out there then you might call your local key and safe shop for their suggestions. I wouldnt try it myself, its to dangerous and the cost of the damage 900 pounds falling down the stairs would cause would far surpass paying a pro to do it the right way.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Call your local safe dealer. They'll come to your house with a motorized stair climbing hand truck. Although it will probably cost a couple hundred bucks, it's better than trying to do it yourself. They factored the delivery and moving cost into the price of my safes when I bought them. I had to reinforce my basement stairway with 4x4's prior to the delivery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Manderson - "Call your local safe dealer. They'll come to your house with a motorized stair climbing hand truck. Although it will probably cost a couple hundred bucks, it's better than trying to do it yourself." I totally agree with this..

After talking to several collectors re: safe moving fiasco's of their own - and talking to the local safe retailer/mover -I had him move one of my safes (approx 800 lbs's up to my 2nd story office.. It only cost $125 and the whole thing took him about 1/2 hour and since he had the right tools and knowledge it was very safe. It was a 'very' well spent $125... After the experience I would never move a safe up or down a flight of stairs over maybe 250 lbs or so.. It's too dangerous and not worth the consequences if anything goes wrong..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Skyliner, Manderson and CSM have given you the best advice.
I can relate a few stories of those who tried to move them themselves and it cost them injuries, and damage to their homes, basement foundations, dry wall etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hire a rigger from the safe company. Its worth it.

If you do the golf ball trick stick to Top-Flite, they are like rocks and of no use for golf.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had to move mine 1 year ago next week to storage following last year's tornadoes. I just called the safe dealer, who's about 60 miles from me, to move it. The charge was $275 dollars which the insurance paid. People that move safes for a living has both the equipment and know how to do the work. It's a lot cheaper to do that than risk someone not knowing how to do it and possibly getting hurt.

Joe A.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I actually moved my liberty 23cuft down into the basement by myself (on its side with a 1 inch tree roping line and some basic rigging). You just need to have a decent grasp of physics.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts