Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice newer (2016 production) custom shop Frontier Six shooter. Black powder frame, etched panel, bullseye ejector, beveled cylinders. The hammer has modern style checking and I'd really like the checkering to be period correct. I have a few nice early 1st gen hammers that recently had their notches re-cut and cams replaced. How hard would it be to fit this this hammer in my 3rd gen? I know the early firing pins won't fit through the hole in the recoil plate - can the early firing pin be replaced with a 3rd gen pin? I'm guessing the work involved to get this to fit wouldn't be worth the cost. The other option would be to re-checker the modern hammer but that seems to cost an arm and a leg. This isn't something I want to invest a whole lot of money in, it's just a nice to have.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I’d go with getting the hammer checkering redone. But then it really wouldn’t be period correct (2016) would it?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d go with getting the hammer checkering redone. But then it really wouldn’t be period correct (2016) would it?
Well neither is the black powder frame or the bullseye ejector or the etched panel or the beveled cylinder. :) Just trying to get in as many 1st gen accents as possible without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Did you order the gun new or did someone else. I seem to recall a post awhile back about the CCS not offering the old style checkering on their hammers. I might try to find another third generation hammer as a replacement just so you can put it back to original condition if needed.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you order the gun new or did someone else. I seem to recall a post awhile back about the CCS not offering the old style checkering on their hammers. I might try to find another third generation hammer as a replacement just so you can put it back to original condition if needed.
No, I ordered it new myself. I honestly don't even recall if it was offered as an option but you're right, I would probably use a replacement and leave the original alone.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
bbates123 said:
….I would probably use a replacement and leave the original alone.
Why would you? No reason too and you always run the risk of having a new hammer and cam that changes the timing on your gun. After checkering it's a perfect time to color case the hammer if it isn't already.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would you? No reason too and you always run the risk of having a new hammer and cam that changes the timing on your gun. After checkering it's a perfect time to color case the hammer if it isn't already.
In case I wasn't happy with their work. If they put out stuff that looked like what you did I would have no hesitation. Who would you recommend to do this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts