Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's notice for anyone in Arizona. The areas biggest gun show comes to town this weekend at the State fairgrounds in Phoenix. If you're looking for Colt stuff or any fireams for that matter, this is the one to go to. I always come home from this one with goodies in hand. It's the Crossroads show and there will be dealers from here and other surrounding states.
Good luck.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
67 Posts
GUNKWAZY: A little early for me, but is there a gunshow that stands out in SE Arizona in the 20 Dec thru 20 January timeframe. Will be travelling in that general AO during that timeframe.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where about is SE Arizona?
Here's what I have for Arizona Gun shows in that time frame.

There's going to be a show in Casa Grande, AZ from Dec. 20-21st 2003. I'm not sure how big that one is. I have not been to that one.
It's being put on by Firing Pin Ent.

There's a show in Downtown Mesa at Centennial Hall on Jan. 3-4 2004. Not a huge show, they have that show about every other month or so.

There's a Crossroads show on Jan. 10-11 2004 in Yuma, AZ. at the Pima County faigrounds. I have not been to the Yuma show, but Crossroads puts on your better shows. This would probably be a good show to attend.

There's a Termark show at the AZ state faigrounds in Phoenix on Jan. 17-18, 2004. The shows at the state faigrounds tend to be very nice unless you're going in the middle of summer. Yikes !!! Can you say swamp cooler ?

Hope that helps you out.
If you need directions to these, let me know which ones, I can see if I can get that for you.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Planning to be there Saturday...and being a recent transplant I have a stupid Q for you...buy from a dealer at the show-is there a waiting period, or is it cash and carry?

Come from NY, what do you expect? :p

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cash-n-carry here in AZ.
There's NO waiting period in Arizona. There's also NO Firearms permits or Cards here as well.
The only card or permit you would need is a CCW & that's only if you are going to carry a concealed weapon, otherwise it's just welcome to the Old West.
If buying from a dealer, they will just make you fill out a form. They will make a phone call to check to see if you are on the Felon list, or people that are banned from owning firearms. If you are clear... it's cash-n-carry or credit card & carry.
Hope that helps.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
265 Posts
You have to be a resident of AZ to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer.

Willcox was Rex Allen's home and the few times that I met him, he was a real gentleman.

There's a pretty good gun show scheduled for the Pima County Fairgrounds, just south of I-10, (Houghton Rd, Mile Post 275), on Sat/Sun, 12-13/14-03,

Have a good trip,

John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, John.

I'll try to check it out.

How could one forget "Wings Over Wilcox," the Rex Allen Museum, and the town where Warren Earp was shot...????

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at the show in Phoenix today.
I saw some very nice prices and some very high prices.
Best price on a colt Diamondback that looked to be as new with a snub barrel was $550.
Best price on a Python was a 6" Stainless In very nice shape for $650. It was hard to walk away from, but I made it.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to be so vague. I chk GunList show calendars of places where I travel, but was interested in local opinions about the shows. Thanks for providing the comments.

Will be in the area of Tombstone, Rex Allen's old hometown whose name momentarily escapes me (I prefer to blame that on too much malaria prophylaxis for too long rather than senility or senior moments), Ft Davis, & Ft Huachucha. I'll do a map recce of the shows you cmt'd on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Based on asking price, folks who have them surely seem to be proud of those Diamondbacks and Pythons. Prices are even higher down here in GucciBaggerLand---even though it's the haven for plastic pistolas with high cap magazines---I suspect a belt fed Glock would burst all previous sales parameters.

I wanted a 2.5 inch Diamondback for the wife to supplement her little 3 inch adj sighted Model 60 and gave up on the project---since she didn't really care anyway and prices were and still are grotesquely higher than the guns warrant.

This strange collector's acquisition urge has really driven up prices on earlier weapons even for guns in a condition that no serious collector would look it. Discontinuing a piece or shifting it to a "limited production item" is tantamount to ensuring sales of what's out there at inflated prices and it has the strange result of causing all sorts of folks to claim (never having bought one, mind you) that it was their favorite weapon.

Personally, though, I think the Python made it's reputation off the early guns and E-series and earlier are the one's for which it may be worth paying any inflated price. In the mid-70's I was getting aberrations like a special ordered piece whose top strap was encrusted with bluing salts. By 1980, I was hearing folks ask why the Python was priced so high given the action quality--and given what I saw, then, I had to agree. In that same year, I traded a H&K 91 to a LE officer as a courtesy for a NIB 6" custom shop action piece that was vastly inferior to any of my earlier stock Pythons--'cept for the presentation box and lovely uncheckered rosewood grips.

The Nickel and SS guns even highly polished have never had the elegance of that wonderful best blue of Colt's that is a major factor in making the Python so attractive. SS makes some sense here in the humid SE but I shouldn't think it much of a draw in the dry climate of the SE--unless you're just partial to "shinyguns"

BTW, What's the weather like around Tombstone, Huachucha, Wilcox in December & January?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Originally posted by 256M-S:

I wanted a 2.5 inch Diamondback for the wife to supplement her little 3 inch adj sighted Model 60 and gave up on the project---since she didn't really care anyway and prices were and still are grotesquely higher than the guns warrant.
I don't think the Diamondback prices are grotesquely high, not at the $550 for a 2 1/2" quoted above. That's an excellent price in today's market. Try buying a snub S&W 27, 29, 625, etc. and see what you pay, then we can talk about inflated prices, and they still make them, but Diamondbacks will never be made again.
It's all in whatcha like and whatcha willing to pay for it!

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dick, I wasn't trying to slight your idea of good prices or of the Diamondback. They're cute little guns. Rather taken by them in 22 RF 'til I ran thru about 4 that wouldn't group as well as my lighter Combat Masterpiece Smiths and Colt thought they met their factory specs.

Everyone's got a different size purse, a different idea of quality, and a different set of priorities. For me though, the Diamondback has always been a DS with some added furniture rather than a Python scaled down. Just for me they were not worth the premiums for what use I had for them when they were readily available and certainly not the jacked prices today. I'm real partial to the little first iteration Cobra's and Agents, and fortunately, I have mine by and large, because I probably wouldn't pay the asking prices for them today either.

Fortunately, by and large, I have the 25's, 27's & 29's I want and have zero interest in Colt's or S&W's guns of the 625's vintage. Still, interestingly enough, I still see P&R 27's & 29's from time to time cheaper than the Diamondbacks down here in GucciBaggerLand which is probably not too far from your location.

Anyone got a feel for SE Arizona weather in Mid-Late Dec thru mid January ?

Cheers...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Long range forecast for the Tucson area:

High: mid 50's to low 60's

Low's: mid 30's to mid 40's.

Once in awhile we have a rainy day, but it only lasts about a day and then back to clear and sunny,

John

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
257M-S

I have to agree with you somewhat, cause I sure don't like to see the escalating prices on Diamondbacks especially when I am trying to complete a collection.

You did hurt my feelings little bit though when you call them "cute little guns"
cause they are not, they are big manly guns.
Only kidding.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, John. Just curious to see if folks from the AO said the same things as the books.

Dick, I wasn't intended to slight the Diamondbacks or folks who like them--they are pretty little guns, but I reckon it was manly enough for the Duke to tote one in his title role as McQ where he played a modern peace officer with somewhat less aplomb than his usual western figures.

I'm fairly sure he wasn't big enough to make a Python look like a Diamondback though they did shorten his carbines to assist in cocking with a twirl of the gun on the lever. DB surely did look petite in his hand though...

Hell, I've carried a brace of 65 LadySmith's for a fair bit in some fairly unstable AO's and never been bothered by some twit feeling that Lady Smith diminished the handler rather than referring to the weapon. I simply leave them to their own threatened sense of manhood that hangs on some fragile a thread. 'Course, the 65 LS t'ain't as pretty as the little Diamondback either...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts