Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that there are fewer guns posted for sale and there are certainly fewer of the quality once posted. Hey even the pictures are not what they used to be. I suppose what we are seeing is that true Colt collectors like us are happy to hold what we have and will only sell if the market is crazy high we are not likely to sell them to buy somethig else and as a smart group of people we have not over invested in them to the point that we need to dump them to raise money.

money

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
With the sometimes ridiculous top end prices being paid on Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc., I suspect many are discovering this forum is probably not the best place to sell a gun for the top dollars. Too many of us are older tightwads still trying to live (and buy) in the days before the internet instantly gives an individual several thousand prospective buyers instead of just the one or two he could track down locally. If you follow the frequent forum "what's it worth" postings, and compare the answers usually given here, with the auction sale prices for similar guns, I think you will see the trend. Not meant to be a criticism...merely an observation...I place myself among the same bunch of skinflints with a wallet that's still trying to live in the 60's....:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I recently asked for price help on an Army Special I was looking to liquidate. I was thinking it might be worth somewhere around $500 but the responces I got were $300-$400 so I through it up on a local clasified for $450 and it sold within hours. I would have prefered to sell it here but it was much easier to sell it face to face and for more money.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Establishing a "market" price for an item implies that the market is knowledgeable. Many of the online auction sales are not to knowledgeable buyers. I submit that the "market" is often improperly inflated by these sales. It is your prerogative to go for the higher dollars, but don't criticize a perhaps more appropriate assessment by the forum. JMO :cool:

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
Prices affecting firearms is a regional thing. Supply and demand. Even though the internet has tied the coasts to gether, restrictions placed on individual states of what can be imported into that state affects prices. Assessments, appropriate or otherwise boils down to opinions. I think ohiobuckeye's assessments of us "Older Tightwads" most closely represents the Colt Forum's ideas.

I won't comment publicly on what a gun is worth, because I will either hurt the buyer or the seller. If you're a buyer, do your homework, don't expect the buyer to do everything for you. If you are the seller, don't fall into the trap thinking that you can pull the wool over the experienced collector and/or observer eyes of fine firearms.

States that allow CCW do better with Small concealable Handguns. Rocky Mountain States do well with Big bore rifles as well. I wouldn't think a .338 WM or a .416 Rigby would do well in Florida as compared to Alaska.

I also have noticed in the last couple of years we have more "Flippers" trying to buy and sell here on the Forum. That is fine if that is your thing, but most members here watch the Auction Boards and other web sites like a vulture waiting for a cow to die. It's getting harder to sneak something pass someone.

We also have more dealers visiting us than in years passed. They have a demand. Who cares what they paid, if they have a buyer demand for the product then more power to them. The Market sets prices, not the Colt Forum.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I in no means meant to criticize the knowledge base of this forum.

I was reinforcing the notion that perhaps the market might be higher than we think on this forum.

That having been said, the true price of an item over the long haul will always prevail.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Perhaps criticize was too strong. My point is that the forum evaluations are usually based on a different view, not necessarily just Colt fever, and should be taken into account as valid also. Indeed, in the end, someone will pay what they will pay. If I were not hiding anything and had a really nice piece on auction, of course I would accept the higher bid. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe most of us watch the classifieds either looking to fill a void in our collection, or we're looking for a good deal. On a more common gun, the auction sites will give the seller a better chance at a high selling price, but the forums are generally a simpler transaction. It also seems the responses to "what's it worth" threads seem to be what a poster would pay, not what they would sell their gun for. I spend a fair amount of time on the Ruger forums and see the same situation there. That being said, the forums are still an invaluable place for information, especially for us newer guys.

B

·
Registered
670 Posts
This discussion is a perfect example of finding the market price. Most of us here have high standards and loads of opportunities at fine guns. There can be a big difference in local markets when a buyer does not want to pay $20 to ship and another $20-$25 to go through an FFL and hope gun is as advertised. The prices/values quoted on this forum are consistently lower than what I see in my local area. In some cases far lower. That is just a fact we all have to deal with. When I hear how plentiful some models are in other markets, I wonder why my market is so different, why old Colts in general are so seldom seen down here. Yet if I were to go to middle Florida there is a flood of older Colts.
No one has to agree on value just because it comes from an expert. I had a local Ruger expert tell me my 1983 Government model Target .22 was worth very little because it was not NIB, only about 99%, worth much less than $400 asking. I sold it in a few days to a guy that wanted one for a shooter, had been looking for one and could not find one. He gave me a choice $400 cash or $200 and this Colt Agent. Well, there you go, we're both happy and that's the final desired outcome, isn't it?. Grips and T grip are my work.
Jim.

Attachments

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
732 Posts
I suppose what we are seeing is that true Colt collectors like us are happy to hold what we have...
I am happy keeping my guns. If I did sale it for a fair price, I'd place the money in an account that earns 0.15%. I think the gun may increase in value more than this? :D

I see revolvers all the time that I need in the picture threads. I wish some of those would show up in the FS section. ;)

I don't even bother with the auction sites.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone miss the greatpictures we used to get posted with those WTS posts...hopalong and doc?

flanman

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Ultimately any gun is worth what someone would pay for it.When the question "What is this worth?" is asked here our forum members will give the person an honest answer.If that person doesn't like the answer then I think our time shouldn't be wasted,do your own homework,and have at it on Gunbroker.JMHO....Peace Out....Mike

·
Registered
685 Posts
There are more buyers on this forum than sellers. We are collectors and look to add nice Colts when they show up. Naturally, these forum buyers tend not to overstate values, thinking one day they may have a shot at buying that particular gun. I seldom see values given by someone here, who would sell their Colt for the same price. We also look for the bargains and have made some good/great purchases over the years. These great deals stick with us and I think influence our perceived values.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
The problem is the pandemic, and the fact that millions of people have let fear overtake their common sense and they're rushing to gun stores to buy any and everything they can get. While I am happy that many people are starting to exercise their Second Amendment rights, it's caused retail prices to skyrocket.

I don't want to blame sellers, eithers. Right now, it's a case a supply and demand. If I were a seller, I'd want to make as much money as possible, too.

The members here aren't cheapskates or tightwads... we're collectors and shooters. We want to pay a fair (but not artificially inflated) price. And because most of us already have a few guns, we're waiting for the market to fix itself. Patience is the key. :)

·
Banned
105 Posts
Seems to me that there are fewer guns posted for sale and there are certainly fewer of the quality once posted. Hey even the pictures are not what they used to be. I suppose what we are seeing is that true Colt collectors like us are happy to hold what we have and will only sell if the market is crazy high we are not likely to sell them to buy somethig else and as a smart group of people we have not over invested in them to the point that we need to dump them to raise money.

money
Just maybe you didn't catch the right buyer. There are lots of potential buyers here that would give your guns worth but may not be online at the moment.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I just saw (This morning) an average looking 1903 Colt (1918) sell for almost $2000 on G.B.. Are people crazy??There were almost fifty people bidding!! Also, yesterday "A NICELY REDONE" 1918 Army Colt sold for almost $3000...... thirty or more people were bidding on it too!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Zombie
40D6BB1C-FE7E-4176-B23D-C5025C30D546.jpeg

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's too bad I hate the selling process, and I'm incredibly lazy. I'd like to sell a bunch of guns, and I think it's unlikely there'll be a better time than right now, as I believe there's a good chance doing so will be made more difficult in the future by the Party in power.

Reading that over, I guess I'd have to add that I'm not all that bright, either. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.