Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy a 6" stainless Anaconda, and I'm trying to decide new vs. used.

Used will be less expensive, but I won't wind up knowing exactly how it has performed, if it needed any warrenty work, and I really won't know how well it's been cared for.

New, OTOH, may generally not be as good as the used ones; how are currently production runs, QC, etc., on the new stuff?

Thoughts & opinions? Thanks.

D.

·
Registered
711 Posts
D,

Blokey's back!!

I have two early Anacondas (a .45 Colt & a .44 Mag) and they're great. I'm not sure if there's a quality difference between old & new; probably many Colt enthusiasts would consider even an early Anaconda (1992ish) a "new" Colt anyway.

I believe Anacondas are plenty strong (I've only heard stories of S&W M29s shooting loose, never an Anaconda), so I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a used one. If you decide to go for used, just check the cylinder timing, etc for signs of heavy use.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is a web page from the American Pistolsmiths guild concerning evaluation of Colt DA revolvers: Check Sheet.

A few of the items apply only to the older design D, E, & I frame revolvers, not to the MM frame Anacondas, but in general this page may be a big help to you in evaluating a used Colt revolver.

By the way, I also own both a 45 Colt and a 44 Magnum Anaconda. Both are in excellent condition, both have been used extensively.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blokey, the relative strength scale I've heard for the Big Three, has S&W's N-frame at the bottom, then Colt's, then Ruger's Redhawk and Super Redhawk. As 1) I don't see myself trying to emulate Elmer Keith, and 2) I prefer the Anaconda's aethetics to that of the S&Ws or Rugers, well...

Though my question was more along the lines of, `Have there been any hitches or problems, now that they're putting them back into production?' I should have phrased it better.

bfoster, that check sheet will probably come in VERY handy. Many thanks.

When I called to ask for a quote on a new one, my local FFL told me that they could not get them and had heard that they were available from the Custom Shop only. I called Colt's directly this afternoon and was told that this is indeed the case. (I did not, however, think to ask if this would always be the case, or if they might one day be generally available again.)

When I asked, I was also told that the long-range plan is to reintroduce quite a bit, if not all, of the line, but no timetable is available (nor, I am guessing, has it been decided internally by this point).

D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts