Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you guys using electronic noise suppression earbuds? I have traditional earplugs and earmuffs, but have heard some good things about the electronic ones.

So, if you've used them, what has your experience been? Good, bad? Would you buy again? What brand do you own?

Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not earbuds but the ear muffs.............I have used them for years as a Federal Firearms instructor and love them. It gives you the ability to hear everything going on around you. I guess the only bad is replacing batteries that I can think of. Not sure of the exact brand, I get them all through work for free which is obviously a bonus. After December when I retire that will change though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like mine also. The only thing with mine is I need to be sure that they stay turned off while I put them into my shooting bag. The switch is one the side and easily gets turned on if they come in contact with the bag. No big deal other than the battery is dead the next time I go to use them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,995 Posts
I bought a set of early mono Peltor back in the 80's before they made them in stereo.
I've used them ever since and like them.

When you fire a shot you hear a dull THUMP, and then immediately hear the echo of the shot.
I can hear range commands and talk to a buddy without having to remove them.
With today's stereo muffs you can not only hear, you can tell the direction sounds are coming from.

Years ago, somewhere I came up with a set of valve type ear plug protection.
These are still made and are inexpensive.
When you fire the valves close and block the sound, then open back up quickly.
I've been using them lately because they allow wearing a fedora to block the sun without interference between the hat and muffs.

Note that the cheap muffs sold by places like Harbor Freight don't block the sound, they actually turn off. So you hear a sudden deadness that stays for a noticeable moment and the sounds suddenly come back. I find that annoying and very noticeable.
Better muffs block the sound and you hear no delay.

Today you can get good quality stereo muffs for low prices made by top companies like Peltor.
Many of today's muffs are also smaller then the rather large early Peltor I have and these fit much closer to the head.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I bought Dillion Peltor electronic ear protection back in the 90's and still have them. They still work good but I need to replace the foam liner inside the muff. I bought the slim model so the muff didn't get in the way as I shot.

Looking back I believe everyone would benefit from electronic ear protection because you can communicate on the firing line really well. Mine were about $140 back in the 90's and I see other brands for a lot less money now.

Jim

·
Registered
549 Posts
I picked up this set honestly since they were priced right I figured I couldn't go wrong. $20

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a a set of Walker's, probably middle grade from what the store offered. I love them. When shooting, I think half the fun is hearing your shots go off and the echo that follows. Plus, it's great to still be able to hear and talk to other people with you without having to remove your ear protection. It's also a neat experience because they pick up noises you normally wouldn't hear, and you can hear people far away from you talking at normal speech levels pretty well.

The best way I can describe it is like listening to the world around you through a radio. I think it would only enhance your shooting experience. I know I'd buy them again.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I picked up this set honestly since they were priced right I figured I couldn't go wrong. $20
\Dave, how do those work? I've seen them and have thinking of picking up a couple of pairs for when my Grandsons come around to shoot.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
549 Posts
\Dave, how do those work? I've seen them and have thinking of picking up a couple of pairs for when my Grandsons come around to shoot.
I liked them so much I picked up a second pair for taking guest to the range.
They do just what you would expect them to. They magnify sound. Which is great if your like me and a little hard of hearing. I blame shooting and work(industrial noise) They shut down at the high DB and act like regular hearing protection at the point. Even though I have done no formal testing I would say they are good to go and recommend them.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I bought a set from CDNN with the Winchester name on them for around $10, yes ten dollars. I figured even if they didn't work electronically they would still be ear muffs. What I got the batteries needed would not fit in and the battery cover close. 5 min with a dremel and the lid closed just right. I don't know how long they will last but they work now.

I need back ups so I buy extra stuff. Sheesh I am a consumer I guess in the glory of capitalism....but my hearing is protected. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts