Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an ecstatic posting about this stuff, a synthetic grease used for any type of machinery, made by Mobile. VERY broad temperature range, 375 degrees down to -40, anti-rust, anti-moisture. Cost about $25, which I thought was high for me to just test it on my 1911 but I went ahead anyway. I can see now having got it why it's $25: it's in 7" or 8" long, about 5" circumference, tube. You could lubricate the Chinese Army for a decade.

How it does in my gun I'll find out soon. Hope it won't slow the slide too much for proper feeding and extraction.

Anyone familiar with this stuff?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Too NEW for most of us. I'll lay you 6 TO 1 , MOST WILL BE DEAD before we ever see it.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I had a post fairly recently about a Castol lubricant that my LGS sales. nobody had used it or heard of it either. Lubecon or something like that. It cleans up a gun good. But I don't know how it is as a protectant over more than just several months. I think most everyone sticks to the tried and true stuff because it works.. so why switch to pay more money. That Lubecon was 7.60 for a few onces.. little goes a real long way though. But Hoppes gun oil is 3 or 4 bucks and get more of it, so I think people stick with oils like Outers, Hoppes, .. theres a million brands aint there!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had a post fairly recently about a Castol lubricant that my LGS sales. nobody had used it or heard of it either. Lubecon or something like that. It cleans up a gun good. But I don't know how it is as a protectant over more than just several months. I think most everyone sticks to the tried and true stuff because it works.. so why switch to pay more money. That Lubecon was 7.60 for a few onces.. little goes a real long way though. But Hoppes gun oil is 3 or 4 bucks and get more of it, so I think people stick with oils like Outers, Hoppes, .. theres a million brands aint there!
I know. Some people just use Mobile 1 motor oil or a transmission oil. I usually use a gun oil/cleaner called Weapon Shield - but am experimenting with a few greases for the hell of it. The Weapon Shield is good stuff: thicker than most oils, smells good, cleans well and has some weird property of making cleaning easier the longer you use it. Dunno why but it does. Anyway, after flirting with some cute and sexy greases, I'll likely go back to my regular "mate": Weapon Shield. Mid-life crisis and all that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mobil1

I'm retired from the oil lubrication industry, over the years I've found many myths regarding oils and what they're used for. Opinions vary greatly in automotive applications and more so in the weapons category.
Most not backed by fact. That said, here's what I use: For cleaning, plain old Hoppe's #9, for moving parts, Mobil1 5W30, for sliding parts, Mobil1 synthetic grease. That'll cover 98% of lubrication requirements.
If you're into long term storage, like years, not much beats Rig grease.
If you're in extreme cold, double digits below zero, RCMP recommends EEZOX.
A muscular syringe from your pharmacists is great for applying oil a drop at a time.
A small artists brush is great for grease application.
One quart of Mobil1 and one tube of Mobil1 synthetic grease will last most a lifetime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts