Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this gun on layaway. dealer said Colt told him it was a 1957. I don't think the box went with a 1957 model.. so think he's wrong about the date. gun/label/box look in order and matching to me, but I am a novice with Pythons, their grips, etc.
anyone see anything not right or not adding up?

Registered
First nickel guns didn't come out until Gen II after '60. Has Gen III Grips/Box.

Everything looks Legit and the price tag is pretty fair also. If the gun is in great condition that would be a bonus.

Banned
Here's what the dealer did...he said "I have a Python with S/N 4251" (omitting the AL Prefix) and Colt said "That's a 1957" and they concluded the phone call. Now then S/N AL4251 makes it a 1980. The stocks are "Gen III" due to the straight transition from smooth to checkered wood. Gen II would have the smiley transition. I'm not a box/label guy so can't help you there. Price? I'm not as up to date on that anymore so no help there. That's all Folks (in my Porky Pig imitation voice).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys.
I think I was the blind squirrel that found a nut .. again.. on this one. They did a layaway for me. I just bought the Wiley Clapp SAA and my bank account has some hurdles now. or more like pot holes... empty ones.
out the door of $2850 . slightest of turn lines.. no scratches. Its really clean. I think I can be happy about that, now. I wasn't sure.
I'm busy doing my job today and I think I can concentrate now... and here's why.... I stopped in the LGS on the way to a job and knew he had the Python but he wasn't wanting to really show it to me when I bought the Wiley Clapp from him. wasn't too sure about the feeling. So he mentioned it to me today. He was willing to work with me and as I'm going to the counter to do the paperwork and pay, this guy straight off of The Sopranos walks in the door , sees the gun on top the box on the counter next to me. says, Nice gun. I said, I'm buying it now.
guy:Can I look at it? me: well. technically they own it.
guy picks it up before Tonya could say and starts to take off the tie wrap.. She stops him. he buys some ammo. Looks at me and says " come outside and talk to me before you buy that " I look at Tonya as I'm writing the check.. REALLY ! I said.. uh.. uh... uh.. The guy is standing at the door holding it open , waiting for me.
I said let me finish my business here and I will be right out. I told Tonya that I know if there is a problem that they would make it right. The guy was gone when I went out the door a few minutes later.
I didn't know if he spotted a problem or wanted to deal... but Tony Soprano's brother :(... (about the same size too and looked like him) had me worked up there with a large priced gun that I already wasn't sure about. I've never had all this happen before. Anyway. Sigh of relieve. He must have liked it and was gonna make me an offer I couldn't refuse !

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did he hear the 1957 comment? Maybe he was going to tell you it was a later gun.
he had not. So I thought he must have saw something obvious like wrong grips or who knows. He was a very intimidating guy... Tonya didn't even act noticeably angry when he started trying to open the cylinder despite the tie wrap---and he knew the gun was sold too. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't go out there to talk to him first.

Premium Member
he had not. So I thought he must have saw something obvious like wrong grips or who knows. He was a very intimidating guy... Tonya didn't even act noticeably angry when he started trying to open the cylinder despite the tie wrap---and he knew the gun was sold too. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't go out there to talk to him first.
Another possibility is that he wanted to scare you off of the gun so he could buy it himself. I've seen this happen at shows were a guy says he knows of a better condition gun, just like you're looking at, at a cheaper price "over there" pointing 6 rows over. Then while you are on a wild goose chase, he buys the very gun you were looking at. This didn't happen to me, as I'm too savvy, but it happened to a not so savvy friend of mine.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think that was the case that you mentioned Chaffee, now knowing that the package was legit.
It definitely shook my tree a little.
Thanks to Hopalong too for calming me down in the aftermath of my panic there. Thanks for calling me back. .. and thanks again to you all responding lightning quick.
If I knew what I was doing with Pythons, I probably would have gotten a good chuckle out of the situation. ( Like most of us fools out here.. we buy a model gun that's new to us and then we try to get educated on them. I will be reading up real quick now.)
Anyway, with an approximate $3k commitment on this, and a total stranger within 45 sec of walking up to me, picking up the gun I was writing a check for, and asking me outside the door BEFORE i buy that.. and said this 3 times and held the door open to wait for me.. wow, ya know. Pythons Pythons.

Banned
Wouldn't have cared if he looked like Jimmy Hoffa and had 2 goons with him, if I was writing the check and paperwork and the gun is near enough to me on the counter and I told him I was buying it, that baby is not his to handle/fondle or get his greasy mitts on. I've seen people lose fingers for less. Very impolite on his part and your store clerk should have placed the gun w/box either behind the counter or in such a place as to make his interference impossible. I don't handle rude well, or so I've been told.

Registered
Yeah I have to agree once you said you were buying the gun, he should have backed off. I would have went outside with him, I am curious that way. Nice Python you purchased I have wanted a nickel Python since Jeff(Mtn spur) showed me the one he bought. Never cared for nickel guns before, but Jeff's Python bit me all the way from Texas. Peace.

Blade

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's what the dealer did...he said "I have a Python with S/N 4251" (omitting the AL Prefix) and Colt said "That's a 1957" and they concluded the phone call. Now then S/N AL4251 makes it a 1980. The stocks are "Gen III" due to the straight transition from smooth to checkered wood. Gen II would have the smiley transition. I'm not a box/label guy so can't help you there. Price? I'm not as up to date on that anymore so no help there. That's all Folks (in my Porky Pig imitation voice).
amazing. you are exactly correct sir . Brian called and came back with 1957. He didn't give them the prefix. I said I know the box is not 1957. I didnt think the gun was either. I say.. ah... I say ah... I say.. ya got to give Colt the whole serial number .. ya got to keep your eye on the box son.. eye.. box. (my best FogHorn LegHorn )

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I have to agree once you said you were buying the gun, he should have backed off. I would have went outside with him, I am curious that way. Nice Python you purchased I have wanted a nickel Python since Jeff(Mtn spur) showed me the one he bought. Never cared for nickel guns before, but Jeff's Python bit me all the way from Texas. Peace.

Blade
Yeah, I will wonder for days what Mr. Soprano (I jest of course) had to tell me so badly. I looked at him across the room as he stood at the doorway.. looked at Tonya.. back at him.. back at Tonya. then I looked down at my checkbook and as I wrote said to her.." I know Harry has always looked out for me. " She said, you can go out there if you want to.
I thought quickly , I'm gonna gamble here but demonstrating trust in them by not going out first is going to be my smartest move. I've bought many guns from there, and I want to buy many more !

(And you know, once you've offended a gal.. she may forgive.. but will never forget it)

Registered
I can tell you stories, but here is just one. I was buying a classic car, 23 years ago, and took it to a dealership that specialized in that type for a compression test. It was a great price and looked new. When I got back they said it tested fine, the engine was great, but "I wouldn't buy that car." I asked why, and they said it was a recent paint over rust. I asked where, and they got squirmy, then pointed at the vents in front of the windshield and said "lots of rust, it's really bad in there." I looked, tested, but didn't see a problem and I told them. But they scared me off, and I didn't buy the car. I'm SURE they did. So years later, I still remember the scam job I got. Don't you think about freeking wackos that walk into gun shops. He's an idiot or scammer, coming right up and handling the gun, then telling you to come outside in front of the seller. Seriously, a real piece of work. Ignore.

Registered
You revived it so I read it and here is my best theory because I believe in the goodness of people. The gun shop acquired the gun from an "estate sale" where one Black Sheep was not invited nor wanted. He did have some friends though and heard where the gun ended up. He picked it up in front of you and was unkind not to be rude but because he recognized it and some things you handle a bit familiarly when it has been awhile. It had a different set of grips, from even the ones his dad had replaced when it was new. He knew it and wanted to explain what it meant to him and why he'd pay more. His dad bought it oddly enough on his sister's 9th birthday, June of 1980. He could explain some of the story anyway. Maybe even give you a bit of history. When he saw you were not budging and wanted it he was reminded of the day his dad bought it and the smile that was on his father's face when he handed it to him. He had wanted to buy it for his own son, after all a brother always should look out for his sister and his son had three. He only sighed and closed the door to the shop leaving you to the purchase it when and remembered his dad's words that night.
He smiled himself and walked away, deciding if no one had found that body in 33 years it would last at least another 33 and someone else could appreciate the gun till then. His sister never got to see 33 but neither did the man who took her life in 78.

Forgive my imagination but I have a lot of big guys with long histories and a love of guns in the family. Thanks for indulging.

Registered
Yeah, I will wonder for days what Mr. Soprano (I jest of course) had to tell me so badly. I looked at him across the room as he stood at the doorway.. looked at Tonya.. back at him.. back at Tonya. then I looked down at my checkbook and as I wrote said to her.." I know Harry has always looked out for me. " She said, you can go out there if you want to.
I thought quickly , I'm gonna gamble here but demonstrating trust in them by not going out first is going to be my smartest move. I've bought many guns from there, and I want to buy many more !

(And you know, once you've offended a gal.. she may forgive.. but will never forget it)
offended a gal............ ain't that the truth.

Registered
Strange tale, glad it worked out.
Am I the only one wondering why the Python appears to be loaded in post #1, second pic ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's so dang reflective that you're seeing light reflecting in those chambers. ..Thanks for thinking safety and being perceptive. That made me think of that Tom Hanks movie "Lady Killers".. A comedy where one of the criminals, a simpleton, looks down the barrel , pulling the trigger because it's not firing... Until it did!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts