Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the Colt forum, did everybody go to sleep. Anybody got any Diamondbacks they want to talk about? diamonback68

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I still have my blued 4".38sp and would like to add a 6".22 to the meager collection. A nickeled model would be really nice, but I'm not made of gold.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Majis---- I have a beautiful Diamondback 6" 22lr nickeled one NIB, unfired but turned, but I am not going to sell it, at least not just yet. But I was at a gunshow today and saw a 4" 22lr in blue about a 70% gun for under $300. Now I wished I had taken it out of circulation. diamonback68

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A Diamondback for under $300? That's unheard of in my area for any condition.
Must be nice to own one of the rare nickeled .22's. I would be jealous but my pockets just aren't that deep. How do you keep your friends from drooling over it?
I have walked away from several nice .22's because of the price, but they just get higher and higher each year. The next one I find will some how find a way to come home with me.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Majic, that is why my wife(who happened to be with me at the time) said I had better buy it before my drool ruined the finish. Yup I was the drooler. But that gun has doubled in value in just the couple years I've had it, in fact the dealer I bought it from offered me $1400 to buy it back and I said no-no.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A few weeks back there was a 6" nickeled .22 on one of the auction sites for $1200. I thought about it, but the family has to eat first.....lol. I plan to have a 6" blued model sometime this year and maybe a nickeled .38sp to round out the collection.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Majic,I've got one each of the ones you just mentioned, and you are right. But the one to behold is the 4" nickeled 38sp, the balance and all is beautiful. The one I have I got from a guy(who needed a new computer) for $450 and he probably would have taken less Take care!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first handgun I ever purchased was a Colt Diamondback with a 4" tube in a deep blue. I was a new MP at the 8th Army (Korea) Rod and Gun Club pro shop. I think I paid about $150 for it, NIB. I shot the heck out of it during my tour over there and sold it to my boss the Deputy Provost Marshal when I left.

I have missed that pistol ever since and in the last 28 years have yet to purchase another. It is about time I find one. I am not getting any younger and the revolvers are not getting any cheaper!

------------------

[This message has been edited by FotoTomas (edited 06-30-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amen FotoTomas, not only are they not getting any cheaper they are getting more scarce to find. I go to big big (700 table) gun shows down here and your lucky if you see 5 or 6 and usually they are the "same old same old" and usually they are duplicates of what I already have. I wonder, is there anyone out there who has been fortuned enough to have all 12 Diamondbacks. That would be my life long ambition. diamonback68 (don't ask where the d went)

·
Registered
80 Posts
One of my favorites is a 2 1/2" blue snubbie .38 Diamondback. It has Herrett custom walnut checkered grips, and a slick Allessi IWB holster. Almost too nice to carry, so it stays in the safe most days.

Two comments: the "Python style" venilated rib is kind of silly on a snubby. Is the barrel ever going to be hot enough that a venilated rib would improve the sight picture? Also. the trigger curve is somewhat tight, and uncomfortable.

Having said all that, it is still a nice little gun that I treasure.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bighornhunter, sure. To my knowledge they made them in 21/2", 4" and 6" lengths in 38SP and 22LR calibers in blue finish, so that makes 6 models. Now if they made all lengths in both calibers in nickel, you now have twelve. Now comes the speculation part, and maybe some "real" Diamondback expert out there can tell us, some people say they never made any 21/2" nickel 22LR, but that some were shipped in blue and then returned for factory re-nickel. Some say they never made any 21/2" nickel 22LR ever and some say they did. I've never seen one. SOOOOO who can solve the mystery, is it 11 or is it 12? To my way of thinking, if the first case is true about the re-nickel, then that is not a factory issue to me and would not find one's way into my collection. dia...............

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jerr6stl: Hush now, I will not allow you to speak harshly of my Diamondbacks. The vent I think was mainly to copy the Python and it also adds balance and front end weight for control. I like Alessi's too, one of the biggest Diamondback dealers down here only sells Alessi. dia...............

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't know, I have a 4" blue one thats' been for sale, box and all, $550. no takers. Hmmmmm.

Sorry, it is in great shape.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

[This message has been edited by Tusker10MM (edited 06-30-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey FotoTomas there you go Tusher10MM has got one for you. That's a good price too, depending on condition.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Diamondback:
I think you forgot some.What about the Electroless Nickel models in 38 and 22.I have seen a 4" 38 and a 6" 22 in this finish.They were factory originals.I do not know if they were custom shop or regular production.I also do not know if these were made in all 3 barrel lengths.So the debate goes on.As for the 22lr 2 1/2" nickel 22lr.I have seen them.As for there original finish I do not know but the finish looked factory perefect.Comments.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bighornhunter: I've seen one of the electroless nickel in 4" 38SP, and frankly I was not impressed, this one looked like a "garage" job. I can't think of anyone in their right mind who would spend $1500-$1600 for 6" 22LR in nickel and then turn around and spend the same amount again for a slightly different kind of nickel one. I'm not 100% sure they are real anyway. I know of no-one who has ever shelled out that kind of money for a "dull" nickel one when they can have the obvious real thing, in shiny nickel, in my opinion. Look at the pictures under your own post and tell me which one you would rather have. Besides my pockets certainly aren"t deep enough to pursue every possible "custom shop" variant they may have ever made and I don't know of anyone else that does either, plus I don't think I can live that long. As for me, I'll stick with the obvious 11 or 12? and not drive my self crazy about the other, which I probably will never see anyway. I'm not looking to attain the "perfect" collection anyway. Catch you latter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
Hey FotoTomas there you go Tusher10MM has got one for you. That's a good price too, depending on condition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a winner BUT I just spent my revolver allotment this month, I have a S&W Model 12 2" RB on the way AND a Deputy Sheriff friend with a 4" Nickle Diamondback I have been "working on" for 6 months now. We shall see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts