Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are aware that several months ago Kansas passed a conceal/carry bill. It's $150 to apply and $130 for the 8 hour training course. Part of the application process is to be fingerprinted, background checked and all that legal jazz.

I'm leaning towards going through this process so I can carry. Is there any downside in doing so either now or down the road?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good idea in my own opinion I have one for Louisiana and with reciprocity I'm good to go for about half the country. Plus at least in La it seems like you don't automatically get treated like a possibly criminal after a justified shooting. I think that one of the reasons that this works out this way is because you've consented to enter the system. They now have your fingerprints etc just they do for the LEO's. I'm not really worried about giving them this information as I'm not planning on holding up a bank or anything lately.

Dave

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Apply for conceal/carry permit. Good or bad id

Anyone who's ever been in the military has fingerprints on record anyway. If you are really paranoid, you best not be posting on gun boards or buying any guns for other than cash from anybody who creates any kind of record. I believe that having a concealed carry permit/license at least shows the politicians the level of support there is. If they pass it and you don't use it, why did they bother? If you do something bad, wear gloves. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,812 Posts

One benefit where I live is that having a concealed permit exempts you from having to do the background check when purchasing / transfering a handgun. Just show 'em your permit and take your new toy home!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
One benefit where I live is that having a concealed permit exempts you from having to do the background check when purchasing / transfering a handgun. Just show 'em your permit and take your new toy home!

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. In FL, it eliminates the three day wait but not the check. They want to make sure you didn't anything bad since the last check . /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts

Go for it. There's a certain peace of mind that goes with not only carrying, but carrying legally. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You can argue the 2nd Amendment all day long, but it's not gonna fly at that traffic stop with a young patrol officer. I've had a license in Texas since it was initiated. A friend of mine resisted for a long time but finally broke down and got his and is now glad he did.

·
Registered
759 Posts

Michigan is now the same way. If you have a CPL dated after 11/05, the NICS check is eliminated.

Regarding the original question - if you can get a concealed carry permit, do so. It shows the politicos that you value your constitutional rights. More than that, it allows you to protect youself and your family.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I say yes. I've had mine since 1987 (IIRC) and there are benefits beyond concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly Kansas doesn't reciprocate with any other states. Is it true that Florida reciprocates with about half of the states? Can non-Floridians get in on that action?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Florida allows non-resident CCLs, but I believe that some of the states that reciprocate only do so with resident CCLs. I've looked at that but don't recall the details. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
365 Posts

I wish poeple of ILLINOIS could get a carry permit!!!
land of the free, BS

·
Registered
38 Posts

Tanker,
My buddy here in Il just got a Fla conceal/carry permit that allows him to carry in 27 states. He mailed in a copy of his DD214 a picture and finger prints with a check and got a permit. As you know here in IL we are just fortunate to have guns with Daley and Balgoydaly running the state.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
As you know here in IL we are just fortunate to have guns with Daley and Balgoydaly running the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

What arrogance for politicians to think they are above the Constitution.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Good point. A DD214 eliminates the need for a class as it implies basic firearms instruction. The class does include a summary of the laws and good info about conduct, legal issues etc. and you would need to be aware of that on your own. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
365 Posts

jarhead
can he carry in ILLinois?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Currently the Florida reciprocity through packing.org shows no for IL. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Jarhead,
Why would you purchase an out of state permit if you couldn't use it at home? Unless you do a lot of traveling it would have a very limited use.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't know Kansas law. My job is what tilted me toward obtaining the concealed weapons permit in TN. In the past, I have been known to have a loaded gun in my vehicle, and this is illegal. Police have told me that in my case unless I was involved in a crime, there would be no problem (unofficially) with having the loaded gun in the vehicle. I got the permit so that I would be legal and not have to be concerned if I had a loaded handgun or ammunition that might be judged to be within easy reach of a firearm inside my vehicle. Law is still the same for long guns.

When some of these laws were first enacted, you were required to list the gun(s) that might be carried on the permit application. To me that was almost like a back-door registration requirement. That has changed except for perhaps some of the anti-states.

Check the qualification requirements. There may be a requirement that you can only use the caliber that you qualified with, or that caliber and smaller, or revolver versus semi-auto. Not the case in my state, but they do record here which gun you qualify with. I was advised to qualify with the largest caliber handgun that I might carry. Considered using a 41mag; but thought the ammunition cost to qualify was a bit high. So, I used a 357 revolver (3" GP100) versus taking the easy route and shooting a 22. I didn't even use the 357 revolver that I shot the best. Qualification is pretty easy if you shoot much.

I believe the records are not public. I would assume they are available to law enforcement personnel.

There is added responsibility once you choose to carry legally.

No drinking (alcohol) while carrying here. Seems a no brainer, but you can't stop for that beer on the way home any more, not that I ever did that anyway.

Even after taking the class, you still don't know the law. That was my biggest complaint with the class. My advice, take the class from a law enforcement person.

Kansas is pretty expensive. Like Tennessee, you are funding the entire cost for the permit. I would get the first permit in the your state of residence. Then consider getting one in FL or another state.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I find the differences between states gun control laws comical. In Louisiana (La) your vehicle is considered an extension of your house. As such you can carry it any darn way you please while in your personel vehicle. This was the famous anit-car jacking law. HCI would tell it's a coincidence but the amount of car jackings has gone down since this law was passed. La also has an open carry law. If you want to carry your handgun in the open such as on a hip holster you're not breaking the law. Once you leave your car and carry the weapon out of plain view now you're breaking the law. Did I mention that, as long as you're not a felon, carrying the handgun concealed without a permit first offense is a misdemeanor.

You're not allowed to carry in a bar for example but you're allowed to have a max BAC of 0.005% and still carry.

There are some things that I love about Louisiana. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I would get the first permit in the your state of residence. Then consider getting one in FL or another state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked out the Florida reciprocating states and it includes all my surrounding states including the ones that I frequent. Now getting a permit is getting more appealing. I'm going to do it.....plus it's my god given right. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I spoke to an instructor yesterday and he says that any caliber can be used to qualify including the .22 cal. The furthest target is 10 yards and must be hit 18 out of 25 shots. Once the permit is issued any caliber and any type of handgun can be carried. It must be carried and not allowed to be anywhere in the vehicle other than on my person. The permit is good for 4 years and then there will be a 2 hour recertification course. The law for recertification has not yet been written.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts