Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though Colt's web page does not list it, RSR is showing a Colt made AR-15 in 9mm Luger. Are these really still being made by Colt?

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
The AR-15 has been out of production since about 1982 or so, so I doubt if the listing is correct, unless RSR has started selling used guns, which seems unlikely. I do not recall an AR-15 ever being offered in 9x19 so I doubt that is the answer.

I recall that the AR-15A2 was offered in 9x19, but I am not aware that it is in current production except as an M16A2 sub-machinegun.

I suspect the listing is for what was formerly known as "Law Enforcement Only" restricted rifles made during the Assault Weapons ban. I would guess the "AR-15" nomenclature is intended to be "AR-15A2" and is probably a Law Enforcement Model LE6420 if memory serves (which it does less and less often these days). That would make it a desirable collectors item since "LEO" guns will be few in number compared to those not so marked.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called the distributor. The reason these guns are shown is that Colt has indicated that they are going to make them again. I placed an order.

That's the good news. The bad news is that when I asked when these guns were expected, the fellow just laughed. No time soon I think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colt said that these are being made. They are for law enforcement BUT if you local laws alloy then the general public can buy.

Colt also said that the U.S. military was getting just about everything that they were making.

So what's up? Don't think even Colt knows. Certainly they did not know that RSR had them listed for commercial sale.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to a police equipment store back east who sold 25 of these recently. Colt had wanted these originally to just be sold to law enforcement. More recently they changed their minds. How many they made this year wasn't clear. The store sold their allotment of 25 instantly and has another 20 customers who want one. Colt told this store, however, that no more would be made unless there was a VERY large police order.

Bushmaster is introducing one. Any reason why that wouldn't be just as good?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts