Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

New member here. Nine years ago I bought a used AR-15 HBar rifle from a local dealer and would like to determine the manufacture date. Serial number CH 058611. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello:

New member here. Nine years ago I bought a used AR-15 HBar rifle from a local dealer and would like to determine the manufacture date. Serial number CH 058611. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...............
Mr. Bumble here. Serial number is HC 058611..............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fumbling around here as I just joined the forum and made my 1st post. Unfortunately I screwed up the serial number on my rifle - it should be HC 058611.

Thanks for your patience.............

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Someone here have a list of serial numbers for sure, but unfortunately I don't have one for the HBAR models.

I had the first HBAR model new in 1986 model R6600 marked on left side of the lower receiver "AR-15A2 HBAR Sporter CAL. .223" serial number prefix "SP".

Currently I also have a Match Target Match HBAR model MT6601 lower half made during the ban decade.

What is the actual marking of your rifle at the lower receiver at the magazine well , "SPORTER Match HBAR" (model R6601) or "Match Target Match HBAR" (model MT6601)?

Does it have a bayonet lug under the front sight base?

How about a flash hider at the muzzle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for your prompt reply! First off, I still screwed up the serial #. Pulled it out of the safe and find that it actually is MH 058611. The mag. well markings are: SPORTER
MATCH HBAR
CAL. 223
SER. MH 058611

Barrel has the flash hider but no bayonet lug under the front sight base.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
1990 build.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I find the Colt serial numbers very confusing!!!
Colt mostly use the first letters of the model name as serial prefix letters, but there are some that are random.

Like your serial number MH means Match HBAR and it is a pre ban model R6601.

Others are SP prefix for Sporter, ST for Sporter Target, MT for Match Target.

Sometimes its random like BD for AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine and TA for AR-15 9mm carbine.

When serial prefix letters starts with the letter L they're usually for Law Enforcement models.

I agree with Snidely, yours was the Sporter series of AR rifles and carbines made from 1990 up to 1994.

I had two AR made the same time of your series except mine was a standard rifle thin gov't profile barrel (not HBAR heavy barrel) Sporter Target model R6551 serial model prefix ST, same as yours without bayonet lug but with flash hider.

My other same as your series was a Sporter Lightweight carbine model R6530 (16" barrel) prefix letters SL and same thing no bayonet lug but with flash hider, bought them both new in 1991.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Colt mostly use the first letters of the model name as serial prefix letters, but there are some that are random.

Like your serial number MH means Match HBAR and it is a pre ban model R6601.

Others are SP prefix for Sporter, ST for Sporter Target, MT for Match Target.

Sometimes its random like BD for AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine and TA for AR-15 9mm carbine.

When serial prefix letters starts with the letter L they're usually for Law Enforcement models.

I agree with Snidely, yours was the Sporter series of AR rifles and carbines made from 1990 up to 1994.

I had two AR made the same time of your series except mine was a standard rifle thin gov't profile barrel (not HBAR heavy barrel) Sporter Target model R6551 serial model prefix ST, same as yours without bayonet lug but with flash hider.

My other same as your series was a Sporter Lightweight carbine model R6530 (16" barrel) prefix letters SL and same thing no bayonet lug but with flash hider, bought them both new in 1991.
I am a long time Winchester collector and past president of the Winchester Arms Collectors Assn. All pretty self apparent when it comes to Winchester serial numbers!

My few Colts are historic martial arms including a well documented 1878 Nettelton SSA and a WWI model 1917 .45 ACP in rather pristine condition. I am drifting away from the Winchesters and now am into U.S. martially marked arms from 1795 through 1945. Still looking for a nice, honest Model 1911 from WWI period if anyone has a correct example that needs to find a new home:giggle:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That's good to know you, if I ever have Winchester collectors questions I will contact you.

I'm just a long time Colt AR owner since my first new AR-15 Sporter SP1 way back in 1971, then I got a few in the 1980s, 1990s, and then after the semi auto ban up to now.

I only have a small collection of long guns and pistols started in the '80s, Colt SP6920 Sporter M4 carbine, Colt A3 Tactical Carbine X 2, Colt HBAR 6601 lower half with unissued new USGI Colt M-16A2 upper half, RRA LAR-15 A4 9mm carbine, pre ban Steyr AUG A1 5.56 bullpup rifle, AUG A1 5.56 bullpup carbine, pre ban Poly Technologies AKS-762 X 3 AK-47 type, pre ban Chinese SKS 7.62X39 rifle with spike bayonet, Korean war USGI M1 Garand International Harvester (from DCM now CMP), pre ban IMI Galil model AR carbine, pre ban IMI Uzi Carbine 9mm/ .45 ACP.

My pistols are from '80s to '90s, Colt 1911 Series '80 .45 X 3, HK USP .40 full size, Sig Sauer P226 9mm, Sig P229 .357 Sig, Glock 9mm X 3, CZ-75 9mm clone made in Swiss, Walther GSP .32 S&W Long with .22LR conversion target pistol and French made Unique brand .22 target pistols X 2.

My father passed away last Jan of this year and he left me his small assortment of guns USGI WWII Springfield Armory M1 Garand, USGI Korean return M1 Carbine X 3, Colt 1911 Series '70 Gold Cup National Match .45 '73, Colt 1911 Commander Series '70 .45, Colt 1911 Commander S '70 .38 Super, S&W Model 29 .44 Mag, S&W Model 59 9mm, Dan Wesson .32 Mag, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Mauser auto .380 '60s, Beretta auto .380, Beretta auto .25, Beretta auto .22LR, Colt .32 auto Pocket Hammerless, Colt Woodsman .22LR target pistol, UK made .22LR International target pistol and Ruger MK-IV bull barrel .22 target pistol.

During the war my father was in the US Army Airborne artillery battery in the Philippines, located south of the city of Manila. His issue was a Browning BAR M1918A2 automatic rifle, he also used sometimes the M2 automatic .30 carbine paratrooper sidefold stock and M1 Thompson sub machine gun .45. He also got his privately owned commercial models Colt 1911 Nickle plated .45 and Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless pistols.

Currently I'm looking for an excellent condition commercial Colt 1911 from shortly before WWII up to 1945 just to have what my Dad had during the war.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts