Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received Colt archives letters for two law enforcement Cobras...a Venezuelan 5" model and a 2" model which was supposedly sent to the Puerto Rican police. The Venezuelan 5" was never really at issue since it's stamped with the Venezuelan coat of arms and marked as police. The only discrepancy is that the revolver is wearing Coltwood stocks and the archives letter states it was shipped with wood stocks. I suspected the Coltwood stocks were wrong as the piece has a 1958 date of shipping and Colt stopped using the plastic stocks several years prior. So...apparently the stocks were switched somewhere in time unless the discrepancy wasn't picked up in the shipping records. Either way I'm ok with it. The letter shows it was sent to Venezuela in a shipment of 1000 guns.

The 2" Cobra was purchased by my local gun store in a group of handguns allegedly from the Puerto Rican police...they had this plus several nickeled Detective Special and a S&W Model 28 which had a really toasted finish though mechanically tight and smooth. I bought this Cobra at a very good price. This revolver is confirmed as going to Puerto Rico in 1970 in a group of 150 similar guns. While it isn't marked as police this does tend to confirm it.

While the letters don't really tell me anything I didn't expect, they do confirm originality. I have another 5" Cobra that didn't go to Venezuela and I'm still waiting for an archives letter on where it was shipped.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Cool letters.

The Venezuelan leaves no questions open.

However, I can never resist sherlocking around after old businesses that guns lettered to. Senor Rodriguez' company in Puerto Rico must have been sizable, if it got 150 guns in one batch. The address still exists in San Juan, but obviously not the business at that location. I found a gun business under the A.E. Rodriguez name in an online directory, but not on the street given; however, there is a gun shop there under another name, so maybe a successor? Anyway, end of trail :)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts